Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tool Kit recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Kit recommendations?

Putting together a trail tool kit for my '09 Sportsman 500 EFI X2. For starters, I need to know if Polaris machines are 100% metric or not, and would appreciate some specific recommendations on wrench sizes to "not be caught without". I have the usual stuff under control (Warn winch kit, tire repair, electrical repair bits & pieces, tie wraps, star wrenches, multi-tip screwdriver, spare belt, etc.), plus a set of 3/8" metric sockets and a Leatherman. But I'm thinking it's a good idea to also carry a few box/open end wrenches to fill out the possibilities. Would 8, 10, 12, 14mm be sufficient, or do I need to also carry 17/19mm? I'd like to be able to bail myself out up to and including changing the clutch belt on this thing if necessary.

Thanks!
Jerry

Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it has both mech, and stand. the clutch covr is a 3/8" socket i do beleave. a pair of vise grips come in handy.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

well my stock tool kit (bag) came with 2 wrenches, one standard and one metric, with different sizes on each end, but I can't remember what sizes they were, but I know one was 1/2" and we had to use that for an emergency operation the other day (don't ask)

I can check the sizes if your X2 didn't come with a tool kit

Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 09's should be all metric. I bought one of the small crafstman tool kits that has a bunch of sockets, ratchet, adapter, extension, and multiple screw bits. The other half of the plastic box has storage w/ a cover and I put channel locks, pliers, and needle nose. Fits nicely with the rest of my stuff in the rear lock-n-ride box.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by stendori
i think it has both mech, and stand. the clutch covr is a 3/8" socket i do beleave. a pair of vise grips come in handy.
A set of standard sockets/wrenches for sure. Flashlight,tire pump(I've got a very small hand held $8.00 at wal-mart slow but effective),Rags,first aid kit for booboo's,small container with assorted screws,nut and bolts.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a basic metric/SAE socket set, Needle nose pliers, knife, rag, funnel, a small amount of clear plastic tubing (to transfer fuel), tire plugs, and tin snips (I got caught in bailing wire around the tire once).

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I felt motivated to search for this thread because I think these are good threads and we all discover a wealth of informtion.

Ref: http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ols-carry.html
Ref: http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...eak-downs.html
Ref: http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...you-carry.html
Ref: http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ut-riding.html

Cheers,

R'

Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

Great post, Rtickwad... I printed the four threads, will work my way through them with a pencil and create a list of the stuff most applicable to my area and the way my wife and I ride. I found several YouTube videos on how to change a belt, BTW. Very informative.

Seems like there should be some sort of sticky post for this subject. I'll bet there's also a market for a self-published little book/booklet on this subject. I know I'd have been happy to buy one if it existed!

Thanks to all for the good inputs..

Jerry

Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Torx head bits for a 1/4" hex drive holder. I got a set of Craftsman torx bits that were like a pocket knife where you unfold the correct size. They also had allen wrenches too.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the trusty old crescent wrench. A small one will work nicely if you get caught without that certain size metric or standard wrench... (always seems to happen at the wost times)

Quick Reply: Tool Kit recommendations?