1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Charging battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging battery

I assume I have done something bad in charging a battery without removing it from the bike (positive and negative terminals still attached). Can this fry electrical components and more specifically the stator?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No, you shouldn't have any problems when charging your battery in situ. After all, that is what the quad normally does while it is running.

But keep in mind that quad batteries are very small compared to car batteries, so you can't charge the battery at car charging rates. Make sure your charger can be set to charge at no more than 2 amps. The reason to keep the peak current level down to 2 amps is to keep from damaging the battery. Your quad shouldn't care at all about the charger.

Why are you suspecting the stator has been damaged? What is the problem you are having? Why are you having to charge the battery?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The charger I am using is 1.5 amps for motorcycle/atv. As for the stator, you helped me out with solving an electrical issue previously that was caused by the stator. I am now having the same issue (only a single spark when cranking) and the voltage and resistance readings are identical to what I obtained previously. Replacing the stator corrected the problem.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...ally-savy.html

The funny part, now I have realized that in both instances the problem occured after charging the battery. I am waiting for a replacement stator to arrive.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So in September of this year it was working. Now it is November and the old problem has returned. How much run time did you put on the quad during this interval? What I'm wondering is whether this problem is intermittent, and that changing the stator may not have fixed the problem. If you had 100 hours of solid operation, followed by sudden and solid failure, then it doesn't sound like an intermittent. But if it worked for an hour, then 2 months later you go out and try to start it and its failed again, then that's another story.

Did you see this thread which is still ongoing?

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...ter-stops.html