Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Breeze Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Breeze Cold Start

I just bought an old Yamaha Breeze used from a friend and it has been sitting in his garage for about 6 months. First, I couldn't get it to start, so I had to use a ton of quick start spray and it started right up. Them problem I'm having is that it seems to be running at a high idle speed and takes off as soon as I put it in gear. My friend said that this never happened to him. So, I'm wondering if maybe its doing this because I sprayed a ton of quick start into the carb and now its trying to burn it up causing it to run at a high idle speed???

Please let me know what you think.
-Alex

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE:
I don't think it has anything to do with the quick start. The engine seems to run at a high idle speed with the choke on, but it stalls if I turn it off or half way. I even let the thing warm up for a while with the choke on and it still stalls if
I turn the choke off. Any ideas???

P.S. My friend just told me it needs a tune up. Would that have anything to do with it?

-Alex

Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Hot damn, I've got the answer for you!!!! I know this one!!!

My daughters Breeze did the same thing and it took me about a half a day to figure the whole deal out.
The thing would idle real fast with the choke on. When I would take the choke off it would still idle high, real high. This got real dangerous one day when my daughter lit her quad off to warm up. She got it warmed up and got on it to go for a ride. She took the choke off and put it in gear. Then something really strange happened. The idle started to get higher and higher and higher with no throttle input!!!!! She could do about 10mph with no throttle input!!! I yelled at her to kill the engine "NOW". She though it was cool and did not realize the danger she was in.

I was working on my car at the time and would not have believed it if I did not see it. Now I know that and engine can not gain RPM without air. I looked for a cracked boot and things like that. Nothing. I looked to see if the throttle cable was getting pulled on some how. Nope.

The thing just gained RPM without the slide opening!!! But that is impossable!!!!!!! I stripped the air box off so I could see what was going on with the carb and get a real good look at things. Everything looked good.The slide did not move!!!!!

I finally took the carb off the engine. When I took the choke cable loose I noticed the choke plunger was stuck on the bore. Like really stuck. There was no way the choke plunger could work as hard as it was stuck. So I cleaned and cleaned and cleand the plunger and bore. I finally got the thing freed up and working again!!!!

I still did not understand the RPM thing???? So I started to poke around the choke circuit. I finally found out how it works. That plunger is tied into a small hole in the back of the carb. If you take the carb box off you can see it. When the plunger comes up it uncovers that hole and that is the air leak to gain RPM for the engine. This way, it adds fuel AND air!!!

Anyway, to solve your problem just take the choke plunger out and clean it real good. Same way with the plunger bore. Make sure the plunger slides free and reassemble.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much for the info! But the thing is, when I have the choke pulled out, the engine runs at high idle. When I push the choke in, it completely shuts off the engine. So I'm guessing the plunger works, and something else is wrong? Maybe I should adjust the idle speed screw??? Or should I take the carb off and clean it? Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If the engine is good and warm and it still dies without the choke on then you need to clean the pilot jet and maybe the main jet of the carb.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh nvm I got it now. I just found this site:
http://www.teamcalamari.com/dox/tekcarb24.html

Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The pilot jet is the idle jet. It is the jet the fuel is drawn out of when the engine is idling. If the jet is clogged up the engine won't idle but will run at anything more than an idle.

The main jet is just that. The main fuel supply jet for the engine. If the engine will idle but won't RPM over an idle then the main jet is more than likely plugged.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a feeling that the pilot jet is clogged and I'm going to clean the entire carb out tomorrow. That will hopefully solve the idle problem. But now I'm still not sure what would be causing the engine to idle high?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Liek I said above. The only way the Breeze will idle high is if that port to the back of the carb is open or the slide is open too far or their is an air leak between the carb and engine.
It's going to be one of those 3.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Breeze Cold Start