Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Kodiak 400, need help please!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kodiak 400, need help please!!!

Good morning all. I have been part of chat groups for my truck and they have been great. I am a new Kodiak owner. I have never ridden or owned an ATV before and I think I am having a problem. I just picked the quad up on Friday and the first time out, the reverse gear doesn't work properly. I was hoping someone could explain slippage to me (I am not sure if that is the problem).

I am able to shift into reverse and the light comes on, but it does not go into gear. If you give it a little throttle, the tranny makes a cliking sound (similar to a baseball card in a bicycle spoke) but won't grab. Is this what they refer to as slippage??? I am brining it in tonight, but was looking to see if anyone can explain this or if they experienced this themselves. Forward works just fine.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to taking part in forums!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

It sounds like you need a linkage adjustment or something along those lines. Take it back to the dealer id the right thing to do.

Old 11-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks

Old 11-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

mine does that if it doesn't go completely into gear. I know the sound you mean, it doesn't sound good. I'm almost 100% sure that you need to adjust the shifter linkage up. pull the side engine panel off, then four 8mm bolts take off the plastic piece by the oil check spot, then just adjust the linkage rod up. (it doesn't take much of a turn to adjust it up)

Old 11-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much.

Since you mentioned the oil check. Do you check yours regularly? I was reading the owners manuel and thought that the problem I experienced may have been slippage, so I followed the directions on checking the oil. I let the quad warm up for five minutes, unscrewed the dip stick and wiped it completely and replaced it without screwing it in. Let the quad sit for five minutes so the oil can return to the resevoir. When I pulled up the dipstick, it was still completely dry. Am I doing something wrong? I just picked up the quad on Friday (two actually one for me and my dad's) I would have thought it would be full??? I did the same thing to my dad's and it was dry also.

Do you think I am missing something here? I know I am not an expert on vehicles, but checking the oil I tought I could handle. I wonder if they forgot to fill it? We did use them for a few hours this weekend. If it were truly empty I think the engine would have seized?

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 01-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

1st problem.....

If your bike is idleing too high when you try to put it in gear (choke on, thumb on gas, or idle set to high) it will make that noise.

2nd problem.....
You are checking your oil properly, some motors use a little oil when they are new untill all the parts are broke in, top it off, it shouldn't take but just a little bit. Another thing to check is the oil filter. It is on the some side as the dipstick and looks like a car filter. It is on top of the motor, black, and the bottom of the filter is facing you. Look for oil leaking on the motor just under the filter. If it is loose, just hand tighten it.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Range Rover

You will also want to make sure you have your foot on the brake (or pull in brake lever). The Kodiak will not shift into reverse unless you apply the brake. Also, like captainkodiak said, it will not shift into gear if the engine is idleing fast, like when the choke is on when you're warming the bike up.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

quick take it back for a refund asap LOL
2003 kodiak 400 problems (worst purchase ever) LEMON

have them check the play on your front discs while it's still on warranty
seems to be a common problem.

Old 01-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Is the bike(s) level when you're checking the oil? If they are the slightest bit tipped forward it will show low on oil. (because the dip stick is at the back of the motor) You are doing everything else right, don't srew it in. Good job, mabey the dealer srewed it in to check it, if so i'd tell them they need to read up on the manuels!!