Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior for a first sport bike?

Old 05-29-2002, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been asking questions about the Raptors and DS650... But I rode an 01 Warrior today with a White Bro pipe kit on it. WOW, it seemed plenty fast. Would this be a better option for me as its my first sport quad? It seemed faster then the grizzley? am I mistaken? Could I put a smaller tooth sproket on the back to make it go 70?? I have never rode a raptor so I cant imagine the speed, I have rode a 86 250r trike and like that.. Would this be a good bike for me to learn on? I am 250lbs you know HUSKEY!!

Old 05-29-2002, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

I think that you would get tired of the power really fast. I have a buddy that rides with us all the time, 01 Warrior, 150 lbs and he makes that thing fly. But when he gets on my Raptor or another buddies shee he will cry the blues for the rest of the day about coulda and shoulda.
Now you being 100 lbs more you will have a hard time with big hill climbs. I would go bigger.
Banshee, Raptor, Suzie Z400, DS 650 (it's the biggest, for size) Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

i agree with radman.

I have a warrior without enging mods and i thought it was fast when i bought it, i was even afraid to go full out in sixth gear. Now i wish i had something bigger because the warrior is not fast enough.

For a starter i would say that it is a great quad, but for a big guy like you i'm sure that you will be happier with a bigger quad.

Old 05-29-2002, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I went from a 83 yamaha 175 three wheeler to a new 87 Warrior and it was *plenty* of machine for me. It gives alot of room to grow in skill while still allowing a newbie to learn the ropes. I'd recommend it for most newer riders as you can buy one fairly cheap and sell it with relative ease if you decide to upgrade later on. You can buy alot of parts for it, and it's next in line under the 400EX for sporty machines but still has reverse. I'd say go for it!

Old 05-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a Warrior with a White Bros. E-Series Promeg (see sig). I had a Raptor and sold it a couple of months ago. The difference between the Warrior and the Raptor is night and day, black and white, and my Raptor had a stock pipe. The quanity of power is different as well as the way it is delivered. The Warrior has an accelerator pump on it's stock carb, so when accelerating there is a slight bog as the engine goes rich for an instant, then you take off. The Raptor hits NOW with explosive, instantaneous power, very smooth. The Raptor also flies much better due to the more evenly distributed weight, front to rear. As you get more experienced, you will get BORED with the Warrior, especially when you eventually get to ride a Raptor. If this is your first sport quad, turn in the throttle limiter screw on the thumb throttle until you "learn" the machine, how it handles, turns, accelerates, etc. I strongly recommend the Raptor, especially if you're pushing 250lbs + gear. If you buy a Warrior and get bored with it you'll probably take a hit when you sell it. With a Raptor, your friends will wonder why you're grinning all the time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

I have got a 2001 Warrior and I just got back from silver lake sand dunes MI. My warrior is all stock and I had no problem with any of the hills and I was running stock tires. I am 6'6" 250lbs. If you are tall I highly recomend a Hi-flite dessert seat as the stock position feels like you are sitting with your knees up by your ears. Besides this I have been more than happy with my Warrior. And would recomend it to anyone looking for a good all around ride

Old 05-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

I think the Warrior is the perfect starter sport quad. It's proven, reliable and has enough power, but not enough to get you into trouble. Learn on the Warrior, then when you have the cash, sell it and upgrade. That's what I'm doing.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

MudStud, I am a big guy like you and ride a Warrior and Banshee. Like perrya, when I bought it I was afraid to open it all the way up on dirt roads. Now, I'm doing over 80 MPH on dirt on my Banshee and still want more... The Warrior is a good size comfortable, relaiable trail machine but... It is too darn slow.

If you want a larger size machine the DS-650 is nice but it is wide for some trails and has no reverse. The Raptor is probably the next best bet followed by the Suzuki Z400 which may be smaller than you like.

Ride and decide which fits you best. But, mark my words, you will quickly grow tired of the Warrior's lack of power.

Old 05-31-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think that I will go with the DS650. I found a BRANDNEW 02 for 5000!!!! This guy bought it and his NOW wife says NO WAY. They bought Scramblers. This thing is MINT. IT only has like 20 minutes on it.. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Old 05-31-2002, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

i aggree with what most people are saying here.you may be very pleased with the warrior but speaking from experience i bought a 300 ex and didn't have it for a year before stepping up to a raptor.as for starter bike don,t be afraid of the bigger bikes. they handle alot better on hills and thats where most people learning to ride get in trouble.My opinion don,t let being new to quads fool you into purchasing a smaller quad because your not going to climb something you are scared of in the first place be it on any bike. you have to make the decision of what you can do and cant do.I would recommend if wallet permitting to get a bigger bike that you can grow into.you will be glad you did.Man my 300ex would move with my 150 pound but on it but when my buddy at about 225 got on it it just didn,t seem nere as fast as it was with me.