Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RIDING AT CALICO GHOST TOWN AREA

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand Junkie,

The trails at arrowhead are awsome. Lots of fun. the whole system up there consists of 99 miles of roads and trails. Nothing like the smell of pine trees while riding. It won't be till the weekend of the 18th that I'll be able to go to Arrowhead. I will hunt this thread down and post to let everyone know when I will be going there. No reason anyone else shouldn't check it out sooner though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I'd love to go but the red sticker thing is going to kill me. Do they check? Is it really rocky? What types of trail? Fire roads or just open area?

let me know.
Smitty

Old 05-02-2002, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

count me in . i usally ride all over the southern cali area. here are a few links to the places i ride.

redlands riding pictures

glamis!

tecate, MX

im aways down for a day of riding, let me know when y'all plan on heading out, im in the los angeles area. eman40000@yahoo.com

Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

smitty,

yes they do check for green stickers. If a Ranger is not present at the staging areas when you show up, one will come along somtime during the day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Aren't the speeds a 4 stroke? If so, why isn't it a green sticker?

The trails range from hard packed dirt to some rockyness. The trails are only wide enough for ATV's and Motorcycles. The rocks are not big enough to do serious damage. If your hauling azz and run into a section of rocks you could do some damage. Most trails are relativly rock free. There is a root or two to contend with from time to time and a Rattlesnake occasionaly sitting in the middle of the trail. Theres a dirt road from the staging area that goes all the way to cactus flats campground above the 6000' level. One area of the road has what they call a waterfall. There is no water but without a 4 wheel ATV its a 2 man adventure to get your quad up the hill and over and around the obstacles. This is a jeep road and bruised because of it. There is also what is called deep creek that you will cross on this road. There is wild trout in it. (they do not plant) stricly barbless lures and flies, no worms or live bait. You will have to cross it to continue on to the waterfall area and on to cactus flats. This is also a very dusty area. Bandanas covering your nose and mouth are suggested. If riding with others its best to stay behind the guy in front far enough to let the dust settle some or you and your quad will be full of dust. Its a great riding area and some good scenery. Oh and for those interested when you get to the deep creek, if you don't cross and take a 1/4 mile walk up the river, there is a skinny dipping spot. There is usualy several people at the crossing and sometimes people are coming back from the dipping area. Before I knew what was going on up there i saw 4-6 nice looking ladys strolling out from the trail leading to that area. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] LOL. For those that go you will enjoy. I can't believe I gave away my summertime riding area. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But oh well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

P.S. You can also ride from the Dam of Lake silverwood to the pinacles. Or vise versa. That is on a dirt road across the tops and side of the mountains. Its about 11 miles there and back on this road. Did it once. A good ride, but there is no shade from pine trees etc so if its a warm day you will feel it.

Old 05-03-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yea the Cannons a Red sticker. Still no answer as to the why. I'm leaning on that it's a purpose built machine, Racing.

Smitty

I plan on going to Comp park next weekend or any other place if you guys want to hook up some where.

Old 05-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

So, has anybody actually ridden the CALICO area??? On the map, it is BLM land. It's not an "open" area like Rasor, Stoddard, or Johnson Valley, but it should be legal to ride the roads. The map shows numerous mines. Personally, I love doing old mining roads. That's why we have the utilities. These are usually tough or impossible to do on a low slung sport bike.

Old 05-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

eman 4000-Saw your pictures of Yucaipa. My buddy lives up there, so we ride right from his house. I had my tires spiked riding this area a while back. Don't let anyone bug you about riding there though. People who live next to open areas come to regard it as their own, even though they don't own the land. The Sheriff doesn't even give tickets anymore, because the land owners will never show up to press charges.

smitty911-You can call the Big Bear Discovery Center at 909-866-3437. They will send you a set of off-road maps for the SB Mtns. The area between Pinacles staging area and Deep Creek, has the best single track trails. The rest is fire roads. You won't get through Deep Creek without a 4X4 though. The rest is easily rideable on a sport bike. I usually stage form the dam at Silverwood Lake, and just ride up into the mountains from there. This saves me a long mountain drive in the truck.

Old 05-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

YZguy.

I beg to differ. My Raptor, My brothers DS and my sons Badger all have crossed deep creek. Rode over the rocks on the other side without getting off (Except my son) and up to the area called the waterfall. My brother and myself rode our quads up the waterfall area. Only stopped and got off 3/4 of the way up to help the bikes along and manualy turn it to a new direction, then rode all the way from there to Cactus (i believe is the name) flats campground and back again. The area of the creek to cross has bricks embedded in the ground and is no more than a foot deep at the crossing. I have pictures of my brother on the other side, parked and manouvering over the rocks.

You can go here to see the parked version.

And here to see him going over the rocks.

Old 05-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin-Trail riding the DS!! I have ridden Deep Creek many times on 2X4 bikes, even on sport bikes. I always say you need a 4X4, so unprepared folks won't show up and be disapointed when they can't get through. Better to be to conservative, than have somebody roll his nice bike in the nasty stuff!! I just don't think the average sport bike rider is up for it. If you aren't use to technical riding, you can get in over your head real quick. I've met lots of guys limping home with bent bars, because they rolled it back there.

Actually, I rode Deep Creek this weekend on the 2X4 Rancher. There was a 4X4 club there (they had some really nice rock crawlers, like the stuff you see in the magazines!!), picking their way through the technical stuff. I buzzed right on by them, skipping along on top of the rocks, and wheelieing the front up over the big stuff. They all stood there with their mouths hanging open!! They said they were very impressed, and I was carefull to point out that it was only a 2X4.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL, that must have been funny. The otherside of the creek does get tore up from the jeeps. And if you are not carful and pick your way you will flip it or injure the underbelly. Have you climbed the waterfall? 2x4 or 4x4? There is an experince for sure. Ive only done it one time. One time is enough for me. Arrowhead is a great place to ride. I will be there in 2 weeks I believe.

Quick Reply: RIDING AT CALICO GHOST TOWN AREA