Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-1999, 12:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy's got a 98 big bear which sometimes starts spitting and sputtering for no apparent reason. Sometimes if you drain the bowl, it seems to fix the problem. It almost seems as though it's either flooding itself, or not getting it's gas, even when it has a full tank.. Has anyone ever experienced this before, or have any idea of what it might be? Thanks.

Old 11-13-1999, 03:21 AM
Range Rover

yep ,Sounds like its time for a tune up.Start by cleaning out the fuel tank and fuel valve real good make sure there is no water or dirt in the tank or fuel valve.also clean out any gas cans that you may use to fill your machine.Replace the fuel filter if it has one ,if it dont put one on.Next clean your air box and air filter or replace it clean your carb using a good carb cleaner or Castrol Super clean,and compressed air,make sure all jets are free of dirt. check the float level (when tiped up side down the float arms should be paralel with the carb body),and check the needle and seat for leaks.(With the needle in and the floats in hold the carb up side down with the bowl off and blow through the fuel line,if you hear any air escaping you need a new needle and seat). change the spark plug and gap it correctly.check the breather pipe on the gas cap if it has one ,the vent may be pluged or the hose may be kinked.That is the number 1 reason they stall out or start sputterin'.P.S make sure you change the rear end oil and engine oil more often if your playin' in water,....hardlydangerous1@yahoo.com

Old 11-15-1999, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

My '97 Wolverine would sputter and miss at low speed and would not idle. It would run with the choke on the middle position. Adjusting the idle would do nothing then it would rev way up. I noticed that the gas in the carb had dried out prior to the problem occurring. Draining the bowl did help a little for a short time. However, blowing out every passage after removing the jets with an air compressor solved the problem.

I have heard that junk getting into the carb from the bowl vent can cause the main jet to plug.

Good Luck

Dave '97 Wolverine

[This message has been edited by davearm (edited 11-15-1999).]

Old 11-16-1999, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

My '96 BB SE would do the same thing - more so after running through water. You're doing the right thing by draining the carb. DEFINITELY recommend installing an in-line fuel filter (FOR ALL ATVs). I'm using a WIX plastic see-thru filter that fits an older VW (gives me the 5/16" fuel line in/out size). It's cute and it works! I haven't had trouble since I installed it last year. The cost was a whopping 59 cents! I believe that this is one modification every ATVer can afford.

Also, it is a good idea to check your fuel can that you use to fill up your BB. Make sure it's clean as well. In addition, I use a filter when filling my gas tank to ensure that no water or dirt residue gets in with the new fuel. Good luck!

------------------
William Hayes '96 Yamaha Big Bear SE Juneau, Alaska

Old 11-17-1999, 05:54 AM
Pro Rider

where did you get your filter rrinc is 5/16" in. pretty standard size and where about did you mount it. sounds like a great idea want to get one for my AC 500 auto...

Artic Cat 500...Got Mud???

------------------

Old 11-17-1999, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

ATVING: Got it at my local parts store that carries Parts Plus products (WIX filters). I installed it between my fuel shut-off and carburetor. The fuel line there is approximately 6"-8" long. I cut out approx. 2" so the installation doesn't allow kinks in the line. There are a couple of varieties in fuel filters like this. Some have 90 degree fittings so fuel lines don't kink. As for the proper size to get, it might be easier to shut off your fuel, remove the fuel line to the carb, and take it to your parts store.

Check your installation area - make sure a filter will fit. That's why this filter to an older VW fits so well - it's only 1.5" in diameter and 2"-3" long. On the filter, you can trim the plastic fittings back a little to save more space to help prevent kinking. Essentially, out of an 8" line, the filter sits in the center of it (so cut the middle of your line and SLOWLY - A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME - trim the line on either end to accommodate the new filter).

It'll look like this:

carb---- (FILTER) ----fuel shut-off valve

It helps to purchase a "see-thru" kind so you can look at all the gunk that would normally flow into your carburetor (and know when to change it!). Good luck!

------------------
William Hayes '96 Yamaha Big Bear SE Juneau, Alaska