Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Light work on magneto only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light work on magneto only?

Hi guy i have a 1992 timberwolf and the light work from the magneto only and not from the battery except the light for neutral and reverse that work with the battery

Any idea? bad ground?

Anyways im going to drop led light on the front so i will have more lighthing

Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Does the electric starter work on the button? The neutral and reverse lights are low wattage and may be eathed onto the engine anyway. Check the earth leads, especially the one on the battery. The live lead from the regulator to battery can also cause this problem. It needs fixing as you could be getting high voltages to the lights, this can blow bulbs, or other electrical components, if they are getting high voltages.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Does the electric starter work on the button? The neutral and reverse lights are low wattage and may be eathed onto the engine anyway. Check the earth leads, especially the one on the battery. The live lead from the regulator to battery can also cause this problem. It needs fixing as you could be getting high voltages to the lights, this can blow bulbs, or other electrical components, if they are getting high voltages.

the selenoid is removed but the button work when their is a working selenoid i need to order one... ( i think it work im unsure )

And for the voltage i tested while running and the voltage wont go over 14-15volt at 9/10 throttle on neutral so it charge well

The current battery is dead i start the atv with the crank for 2 years.. i need to replace the battery and put a selenoid

For the neutral and reverse light it work when turning the key with a good battery. or even this one

Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Even with dead cells in the battery,the voltage from the stator through the regulator has to go somewhere. It can attempt to go to the battery and may build it up enough to show the instrument lights when you turn the key on,but lights that work only while running are working from the voltage supplied from the stator through the regulator/rectifier. Like mentioned,just get a battery and fix what needs to be done before you possibly have problems from any voltage spikes.Depending on the vehicle, lights can be the first thing blown because they have the least resistance and voltage can hit them first,but other electrical components can be damaged also.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Even with dead cells in the battery,the voltage from the stator through the regulator has to go somewhere. It can attempt to go to the battery and may build it up enough to show the instrument lights when you turn the key on,but lights that work only while running are working from the voltage supplied from the stator through the regulator/rectifier. Like mentioned,just get a battery and fix what needs to be done before you possibly have problems from any voltage spikes.Depending on the vehicle, lights can be the first thing blown because they have the least resistance and voltage can hit them first,but other electrical components can be damaged also.

I did try with a working car battery and the front light where still off but the neutral and reverse was on...

Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by mrbonami2
I did try with a working car battery and the front light where still off but the neutral and reverse was on...
I'd still just get the correct battery,install the new solenoid,then you can trace what problems you still may have. Auto batteries have caused problems themselves in the past on atvs especially if the auto is running because of the higher amperage. A lot of people have learned the hard way on this when coils,cdi modules and wiring have burnt.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I'd still just get the correct battery,install the new solenoid,then you can trace what problems you still may have. Auto batteries have caused problems themselves in the past on atvs especially if the auto is running because of the higher amperage. A lot of people have learned the hard way on this when coils,cdi modules and wiring have burnt.

may explain my 2 cdi burned on my chiness atv...

Uh i did try with a car battery but out of a car i mean i carried the battery full charge to the atv and pluggued

Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep they do it!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

selenoid and carb kit ordered the atv run perfectly with the exhaust patched now i need a battery because i dont want to kill the magneto ahah

Spark plug reading is strange with the ngk took it gray with a bit of white on the tip

While the champion show more of brown colour