Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Hi all,
I worked on a friends 2001 yamaha kodiak 400, it was not running so I did a carb rebuild kit and the throttle cable was broken so I installed a new one. The one i purchased from ebay was a touch longer so I simple rerouted it with not issues. I fine turned it to what I thought was good and then I put a new Yamaha Drive belt on. The problem is he lives in PA and owns a very steep hill and now when he comes down the hill the motor holds him back like it always has but then it starts free wheeling until he hits the throttle and it grabs for another 20 feet until it free wheels again... any ideas on what to do so that it will grab and hold the wheeler back all the way down the hill like it use too?
thanks all

Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

the owner of the wheeler called and talked with another guy that owns a yamaha shop and he says that there is a bearing in the transmission that only goes one way? and there could be something wrong with that and that is why it free wheels. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

It is a one way clutch, and is fixed to the centrifugal clutch on the crankshaft, it looks and acts like a bearing in one direction but locks solid in the other. It is there to keep the centrifugal clutch from disengaging when the revs have dropped on the overrun. However as you have only had the problem since fitting a new belt, I would check that the belt is the right one, and that both front and back movable pulleys are not sticking, before going to the expense of a new one way clutch.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Okay the one way clutch u r talking about, is that the same as the one way bearing that the guy was talking about? He quoted 200 bucks for the part and 2 hours labor, and I went to the yamaha web site got the part number and found it on eBay and that is one I got so I am assuming it is correct.