Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06' kodiak 450 oil burn/ rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06' kodiak 450 oil burn/ rebuild questions

i have an 06 kodiak 450 irs 4x4 i bought the bike used and it runs great besides the fact i get a lil oil burn. im not sure if its rings or valve seals but i know im getting oil in the chamber somewhere. the guy i bought it from said the bike had approx 30 hours on a rebuild when i bought it but on the first long ride i noticed i could smell oil burn on 3/4 to WOT runs and my buddies could see a lil puff smoke when i let off after a quick run.another incident was a mix of trail mud and sand riding we stopped and it started puffing smoke not enough to really cloud or fog just a haze but stopped after some revs and the rest of the day it was just the smell. today i got the bike out to check fluids plug air filter grease fittings etc and take my son for a ride ( about 20min or so) which was speeds less than 25 and no hard pulls i took him in and proceeded to blow the carbon out after two WOT pulls i park in the shade and look for the blue haze and nothing rev it still nothing pull under the carport letting idle for about 2-3 minutes give it a few revs and there it is showing its ugly face... smoke! enough that you had to look for it but not like a 2 stroke warming up. So today was the straw that broke the camels back ive had the bike for bout 8 months and it don't burn enough to show on the dipstick every 20hrs but it is annoying.
now as im gearing up for either a rebuild ive checked the obvious " overfilling of oil, over oiled air filter, and rear dif is vented away from the air box. i do have some oil in the airbox its is damp but not puddled and it trails from the crank vent hose. when the engine is running and the lid off the airbox you can feel the air coming from the vent tube pretty good which concerned me and if you loosen the oil fill cap its puffing pretty good there too. i plan on doing a leak down test and comp test before i overhaul but it starts cold like a brand new efi machine so im sure comp is good. im really thinkin the guy didnt break it in right or the when it was rebuilt they didnt get the rings staggered.
my questions concerning a rebuild are:
will simple honing of a factory cylinder work if it ain't damaged or will i have to bore it?
i had already planned on going to a high comp piston this would just speed things up are high comp pistons a good idea for this machine?
ive done a 2 stroke rebuild before but not a 4 stroke are there any little tricks to be concerned with ? im going to order a shop manual for it.

if there is something that im missing please give me advice cause im about tired of guessing. at first i thought valves but then with the crank vent puffing as hard as it was im back to rings.