Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2005 Yamaha Bruin 250 Problems, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Yamaha Bruin 250 Problems, PLEASE HELP!

ok so ive got a an exact copy of the 2005 yamaha bruin and i know the parts arent just knockoffs because if you check the part numbers they are the same and the vin number is even the same as the real yamaha even though mine is a "yamoto". The only differences between this and they yamaha are that it has the 2003 and older honda rancher 350 plastics, racks, and brush guard. But now to the issues ive been having, there has been some difficulty starting specifically when im using the e start since it has a pull start and e start.when it is warm it starts first pull on pul start but when using the e stat it takes a little bit and theres no chance of starting in the cold. I have just replaced the battery, starter motor, and cleaned the carburetor in the past month with very minimal use on them.And i have a 3-4 months old ngk spark plug which seems like it still has life on it and i also got a K&N air filter and oil filter with the spark plug. But the reason i replaced the battery and starter is because of this same issue and it has not helped much. I even adjusted the valves to .003" intake and .005" exhaust which helped a little more and got rid of the valve tap it had since the valves were too tight. when i replaced the starter i felt the first little idler gear in the crankcase where the flywheel and magneto and stuff are and i realised it was loose enough where the starter could not reach it so i opened it up and so there was no washers there on it but there is supposed to be one so i went to lowes and got a washer that fits it and that fixed that problem.But now the statrer motor spins, the first idler gear spins but i noticed the second bigger idler gear doesnt always spin or spin the flywheel.This is the one in front of the bottom of the timing chain. And i noticed it is slightly loose meaning it wobbles back and forth a little also but not as much as the other gear was. When i use the pull start it usually starts first or second pull but the electric doesnt always want to work and i think it might have something to do with the starter clutch i believe its called which is in between this gear and the flywheel. And this problem is also causing a sound coming from my motor that bugs me out because it makes me go all paranoid like the motors gonna blow. But i noticed also sometimes when go to strt it sometimes it wont start and there will be a loud pop i guess like a backfire that comes from the carb,airbox area and then smoke comes out of the intake boot where the air filter is. Im not sure if this has anything to do with my other problem or not. And could that be because my timing may be off and could my timing be off be whats causing the noise instead. Please help me with this and it is the 250 model.Thanks and sorry for the essay lol just though it would help to give the most information possible in the first post.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

oh btw when the pop and smoke from intake happens it is very rare and just noticed it about two months ago and it is like it starts and dies almost in less than a second but the motor hasnt been fully turned over or it ignites the fuel but the motor hasnt started but im really not sure about that at all or if it would make any sense and im still kind of a beginner in mechanics since i just started learning about this stuff when i got this July 2 of 2013 but i have learned a LOT since

P.S. on the cover for the side of the head where the top of the timing chain is their is a hose that comes out of it that i think blows air and it is supposed to go to the intake snorkel but is ripped and cracked and i do plan on relacing soon but just thought i would let you know just in case if this has to do with anything

Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Nobody knows what the problem could be or how to fix it?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

OK well nobody has even replied to my thread but i found out that two of the 3 bolts that hold the starter clutch on to the rotor somehow snapped off and i was able to get the ends of the bolt by spinning a little magnet as a screwdriver until i could just use pliers to get it out. Hopefully this will help someone else who is having similar problems