Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bought an atv and the guy lied to me about the year

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an atv and the guy lied to me about the year

Yep, just like it says i bought a grizzly 550 from this guy off craigslist. He sold it to me as a 2011 come to find out its only a 2009 I tried calling him, no answer. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and is there anything i can do about it?

I would appreciate any help.

thanks

Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Range Rover

What kinda paperwork did he give you? At this point, I would be more worried about that than trying to get anything out of the seller.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by quadsr4me
What kinda paperwork did he give you? At this point, I would be more worried about that than trying to get anything out of the seller.
Bill of sale, and a dealership paperwork where he bought it used from. However, the vin numbers on the paperwork do not match the atv

Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Range Rover

Does your state require titles for atv?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by quadsr4me
Does your state require titles for atv?

yes

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Know it's a little late,but since the vin # and year model on the paper work doesn't match the machine,I'd check to see first if the machine is listed as stolen. Could end up being a police matter and might be hard getting your $ back from a guy that sounds like he's a good con artist. Again this is too late on this one,but never buy a machine without a title or an mso that you can apply for a title with. Had a few people come into the shop that had let this happen to them. Titles on orv started in the mid 80's in most states. Started in 1985-1986 down here in Texas.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Know it's a little late,but since the vin # and year model on the paper work doesn't match the machine,I'd check to see first if the machine is listed as stolen. Could end up being a police matter and might be hard getting your $ back from a guy that sounds like he's a good con artist. Again this is too late on this one,but never buy a machine without a title or an mso that you can apply for a title with. Had a few people come into the shop that had let this happen to them.

The machine is not stolen, i already looked into this. everything comes up clear. The machine has really low miles and hours and came with a bunch of addition accessories so it was all a really good deal the only issue is that the two vins dont match up and he lied on the paper work of the year. So not sure how this would hold up in court due to everything.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chevytech546
The machine is not stolen, i already looked into this. everything comes up clear. The machine has really low miles and hours and came with a bunch of addition accessories so it was all a really good deal the only issue is that the two vins dont match up and he lied on the paper work of the year. So not sure how this would hold up in court due to everything.
The title is the main thing! If you don't have it,not sure what you can do other than contacting the dealer listed on the paper work to see if they can help.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nope, no title. Just have a bill of say stating i bought it as-is.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

the vin numbers on the paperwork do not match the atv
I would worry if its hot, not the correct year.
In Canada we call title a "Ownership" without one it illegal to be caught riding one on anything but private property.
Without a ownership you can't even put insurance on the ATV.

Have the Police run the true frame serial numbers to see if its has been reported stolen.

Quick Reply: Bought an atv and the guy lied to me about the year