Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

running lean when low on fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running lean when low on fuel

im having a problem with an 84 ytm200el im restoring. not sure how long it was sitting but the stems on the petcock on the fuel tank were pretty much rotted off, petcock was plugged solid from old fuel and carb was the worst mess iv ever seen, ive bought numerous quads that sat for 5 years +.......well to get to the point iv cleaned the carb set valves timing, ect. to get this thing running right and finally got it running properly but it only runs right as long as theres almost a full tank? i started off adjusting the needle as it emptied and it would fix it temporarly but noticed i had to move the clip up after refilling the tank then it happend again, ive looked everywhere and cant find anyone with the same problem so i signed up and am posting it here.

to me it seams like its leaning out as theres less force(weight of the gas in tank) pushing gas into the carb. shouldnt the float control the fuel level in the carb pretty accurately at any level in the tank??? i had a inline fuel filter in at first but took it off because of this problem not sure if it helped much or not but i would like it on there, should i take both stems off the petcock and just run the inline filter? it also doesnt seam to make much of a difference if im on run or reserve.

well any help would be appreciated thnx