Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum and need some advice as I am planning to buy my first quad. I am fairly certain I want to buy Yamaha as I know they are reliable machines. I'm split between the banshee and the yfz 450; I know the yfz is a lot more comfortable and better for trails etc. but I love 2 strokes and wrenching on them as I work as a small engine mechanic, although I mostly work on snowmobiles. Basically I really want a banshee and I just want to know if it is worth getting it over the 450 if I am just cruising around town ( ATV's are road legal here) and occasionally off-roading as there is a large sand pit here. I have not had the chance to ride either models but I have ridden ATV's for many years. I stumbled across a 2006 banshee for sale from a dealer and would like to know what you guys think, it seems a bit overpriced but it looks like its in pretty good shape.

Used 2006 Yamaha BANSHEE 350 ATV For Sale In LONDON ON - autoTRADER.ca

Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be a good place to start in the Banshee world, as it has stock pipes and decent tires. Banshees are a difficult beast to tame, as a first time rider the YFZ will be more forgiving. If you get a Banshee, just take it easy so as to not ride over your head. Get those skills developed before getting silly with one!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Road legal ATV's!!!???? Wow!! I have tried to legalize my ATV's here in North Carolina with no success, all I get is attitude about it from the DMV. I found a loophole that stated a machine with a saddle-style seat can have no more than 3 wheels. That's one reason I fixed the Tri-Z up, hoping to make it street legal, but still hit a dead end.

I think either quad would work fine for you. In my opinion (I'm a taller guy, 6'-1") the Banshee is more comfortable to sit on and ride for long periods of time. The 450 has better suspension for rough terrain but has an aggressive sitting stance and is meant more for short riding bursts around a motocross track than for longer trips.

In my area a nice Banshee like that would cost around $3,000- 3,500 and you can buy the same year model YFZ450 for about the same price or less.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Road legal ATV's!!!???? Wow!! I have tried to legalize my ATV's here in North Carolina with no success
Its not about the ATV its about your local laws.
Up here their are some smaller town that allow ATVs to go anywhere on the streets.
In my city the have certain areas of the city where snowmobiles and ATVs have free run of the streets as long as they are insured and you have a drivers license.
The ATV is not changed in anyway.

In Sault Michigan you can take a snowmobile to Wal-mart if you want, or cruise main street.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea ATV's are legal anywhere here and snowmobiles also, as I live up north in Canada we get a lot of snow so snowmobiles are really popular. What do you guys think of the Banshee that is for sale that I linked? does it seem overpriced for what it is? Oh, and i'm sure I can handle the power - I ride a 177hp snowmobile

Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I live in Canada also ,Sault Ont. Border town.
Problem with price quotes here is that most of the people here are American and can't even comprehend the prices we deal with new and used in Canada.

I just bought and flipped sold a low mileage mint condition 2008 Ski-doo 600 SDI Renegade I pick up in Michagan for $3800 U.S. ($4200)Canadian
I sold it here for $5800 the next day.

So $4000 for a 2006 Banshee will seem insane to the people here. That's what it cost new to these people.
I think its a good price as a fellow Canadian , I just paid $3500 for a 2007 350 Grizzly here in town last year.
A good used 660 Grizzly sells for that in the states.

The banshee was sold in Canada for many more years after it was discontinued in the States.

This link will make you feel good about it. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth....asp?veh=21729
Take it from the people who own one.