Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ethanol Strikes Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Strikes Again

So, my love for gasahol continues. The battery was dead in the Kodiak, which I replaced today. Turned on the gas, which was all but empty. Filled the tank with some fresh treated fuel, fired it up, got halfway around the yard and it died. Will not fire at all, it only coughs every few cranks. I pulled off the fuel line at the carb, and there is fuel there. Sprayed carb cleaner into the carb fuel inlet, and down the air intake. Wiped everything out I could get to and cranked it, but still nothing. So I'll guess I'll pull the carb tomorrow during the snowstorm that I need it for to plow out. I've never had the carb out of the kodiak......is it easy to pull? It looks really tight in there. Also, how does the throttle linkage come off? The choke cable just unscrews, I do know that. Any tips on how to disassemble it once I get it out? Thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails Ethanol Strikes Again-image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

Pic of the throttle cable inlet.....

Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Similar to the Polaris cable system. Remove the screws and the cable goes around a throttle valve shaft wheel. A small brass locking piece(cable end guide) holds the cable end in place. Don't loose it when you pull it out! Look at the video at around 4:25 to 4:30 or so and shows the throttle shaft wheel where the cable rides.
Item #38 on the parts break down. You may or may not have to pull the cable if you just need to drop the bowl and clean out the jets.All depends on how nasty the carb is and if you have room to leave the cable attached.Looks like it has a plastic choke cable nut.(item #21) Be careful and don't break this! Don't ask me how I know Honda and Yamaha and their plastic choke nuts.. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...03&fveh=189228

Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

Got it fixed, the bowl was nasty. That throttle cable is a PITA to disassemble and reassemble. I turned off the gas last use, but it appears the fuel valve is leaking by a bit, which allowed fuel to refill the bowl over time and gum up. Now for some fun in the snow!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Bleh.

A leaking petcock is one of the reasons I've switched to transparent fuel line and filters (available from Jets R Us dot com). I drain the carb after every ride, so if I see gas in the fuel line and filter a couple days later, I know I have a leaking petcock (like in my XR400, currently) that must be addressed before long-term storage.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Figured I'd post up a pic of it in action now that it's fixed

Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Nasty,nasty!.. I saved a pic of it for future use. You're the poster boy on gummed up carbs.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

Glad I could help........somehow
Especially embarrassing considering dad was a auto tech/small engine repair tech for 40+ years. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not checking the petcock. I'm changing my strategy for here on, I'm running all my engines once every few weeks for the good of the battery and fuel system

Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have been to a goat ropin' and three county fairs, and I have NEVER seen anything like that...lol. Wish we could get real gas nowadays...

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That is, by far, the nastiest, most gummed up carb I've ever seen!!!

On a positive note, I haven't had any troubles as long as I keep some fuel stabilizer in my gas cans. 2 chainsaws, 2 mowers, trimmer, leaf blower, snowblower, wood splitter, and 2 quads. Nothing gummed up yet. Just have to remember to treat the crappy gas the EPA is mandating. I hope they don't give in to the 15% ethanol.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Strikes Again