Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need help diagnosing my blaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help diagnosing my blaster

so i have a 2000 blaster 2 stroke that quit running on me yesterday. i was riding at sandhill and went through a lil water very slowly but it came up to the foot pegs. it was about 200 yards after that it stopped… it would start up but wouldn't rev up and you had to hold it at half throttle the keep it from killing but it eventually killed on its own and wouldn't start back up. we towed it in didn't mess with it for about an hour and it started right and ran as it normally does when its cold. as it warmed up it started running a lil better then the more i rode the less and less compression it had. think its the rings but not sure. i don't want to spend money without known this is the problem. any help would be great!!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

If you're low on compression then yes it is probably the rings but it sounds to me like your stator got wet and has not dried out yet. If that's the case, then you need to remove it, let it dry out, then reinstall it with a new gasket so it doesn't get wet again.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

i took it off already it was dry. its been 24 hrs even if it was wet would it take that long?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

If it was dry then maybe it never got wet in the 1st place? Maybe the water had nothing to do with your problem? Have you checked/changed your plug? Your plug could have fouled. Another easy thing to check is your reeds, they could have cracked/broken. You could also get a compression tester to check your compression. Alot of times if your rings go out the engine won't run at all.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked the compression it was 120 has new plug carb is cleaned stator is good. It will run good as soon as you start it up but as it warms up it gets worse and worse til it almost won't even run...

Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

It also smokes more and more as it warns up

Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Check the compression cold and then after it warms up?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give it a shot.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by johnrayner1990
Checked the compression it was 120 has new plug carb is cleaned stator is good. It will run good as soon as you start it up but as it warms up it gets worse and worse til it almost won't even run...
I'm going to contradict myself and doubt it has anything to do with compression. I have read where sometimes an engine will lose compression as it warms up because the metal will expand but I have never seen this happen. It still wouldn't hurt to check it when cold versus when hot. It sounds more like an electrical component is getting hot and malfuctioning (ignition coil, stator, regulator, or cdi box). If this was the case you would have a week/no spark when the engine is hot. If that's the case then you would need a meter to check the components when cold versus when hot.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've never had to do that before.. Sorry to be asking so much but how would I check it with the meter? Never used one before. And I know what the stator and coil look like but not the regulator or cdi box. Can you tell me where to find those?

Quick Reply: need help diagnosing my blaster