Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFM250XM BearTracker tyres

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFM250XM BearTracker tyres

OEM 22x10x10-22x7x10

Since I'm rarely out of the first two gears using the little guy as a work platform hauling tools and at times a 4'x8' tilt trailer I'm looking at buying smaller overall diameter tyres.

20x11x10 16lbs 6-ply
21x7x10 12.5lbs 6-ply

Drop 2" on rear diamter/1" height add one inch width/inside & out.
Drop one inch front diameter 1/2" height same width.

Other than ground clearance do you see any issues w/swapping 2" of diameter on the rear for one inch width? I figure I could use the bigger footprint w/lower ratio for extra low end pull.

I'm not sure what the OEM tyres weigh though I guess they're a lighter 4 ply build.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not problem to go smaller but if it is a 4x4 your suppose to keep the tires in the original radius diameter due to the gearing of the ATV design, or when in 4wd the rear and front drive train will be fighting each other.

So stock is 22" front and back then you should go either 20" or 21" front and back.
If its a 2wd then you can mix it up all you want.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good deal as it's a two wheel drive. I'll have to wait a few days for a new billing cycle to order, but that's OK. I suppose I can part w/the orginal tread. It has served me well. Thanks for the response.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

One more thing as I've never changed tyres previously. will the extra inch in width, 11 vs OEM 10, pose a problem in mounting? I had thought about attempting a 6" width on the front, vs OEM 7", but felt maybe I wasn't leaving myself enough room,

Naturally w/o experience I'm speculating though I wouldn't think one inch split betwixt the inner/outer rim would pose an issue. Yet, since I'm not sure I thought I'd ask. Technically a fatter width would bow outwards at the middle tread somewhat and a skinnier width tend to bow in though I suppose tyre pressure could offset that as well. It's just a work/utility vehicle.

Likewise did anyone make a relatively cheap alloy rim for this little entry model? I thought maybe some existed for other models that used the same bolt pattern/offset whatever that may be. If I could pick up a couple of light wheels for the rear that might be a plus. Thanks

Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The rear of a ATV has plenty of space to spare for wider tires.

My little Yamaha 350 4x4 had 25x8-12 fronts and 25x10-12 backs OEM.
I just put on larger and wider 26x9-12 fronts and 26x11-12 backs with plenty of room to spare.

Impossible to get into trouble when going to thinner,narrower tires. Any rubbing is usually only if you go to wide on the front but 1" wider is still nothing to worry about.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for sharing your first hand knowledge. I knew you could fudge a mite on car/motorbike tyres w/widths a bit more or less the the width of the wheel.

Is it much trouble to replace the tyres? The OEM seem rather thin & I'd think I should be able to work them over w/4-5lbs shop hammer and bust the bead. When I was younger I used a 3/4 ton truck to bust auto beads by pulling the valve stem and driving on top of them.

Once again I'm only speculating as I've never changed them. Thanks

Old 11-09-2013, 12:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

You might get them off but you will need a tire shop to put them on, so you might as well get them to do the whole job. My local tire shop charges $10 to $12 per wheel thats old tire off and new tire on.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

In keeping on the same theme I've a querry about wheels. I note ITP Al wheels at a reasonable price. The OEM is 10" x 8" 3+5 offset 4/110 lug. Although a 20x11x10 tyre w/extra inch width would have no problem fitting I was considering a 10" wide rim.
Another brand/make/model uses 10" x 10" 5+5 4/110. I'm thinking the 11" tyre might fit better w/flatter profile. No problem on the hubless left side, but I'm not sure if this CNC cut wheel would fit over my brake hub on the other side. As is w/o extra 2 inches offset inside it's hard to say, but it looks a might too tight if they follow the same wheel contour. I suppose if push came to shove I could yank the rear brake assembly. I don't need it any more than I need to run low PSI in the tyres which I don't. Am I correct to think that the 11" tread tyre would fit better on a 10" rim compared to a an 8"? Also, in the same OEM sizes are the Al wheels any lighter than the factory steel?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
You might get them off but you will need a tire shop to put them on, so you might as well get them to do the whole job.
Don't you mean the other way around?

I mount all my ATV (and tractor) tires, but breaking the bead on a quad's
wheel is extremely difficult due to the soft sidewall and the lip. If the
tire is NG, I cut them off.

I recently took some steel wheels in to a tire dealer cuz I could not get
the tires off (bead broken) and I wanted to save them. They charged
me only $3/wheel to break the beads, but they could not do 2 of the
4, even with a modern automatic tire machine.

So, I took them home and cut the wheels off with a plasma cutter.

I have no problems mounting ATV tires, with one caveat: seating the
beads without exceeding the sidewall rating (usually 36psi for 2 ply) has
not been possible for me. I have to go all the way to 80+psi and when
it seats, it sounds like a shotgun. I use a HarborFright tire mounter,
and the compressor valve is operated remotely.

To the OP: I like your idea of a smaller overall tire/wheel diameter for
your BearTracker. I had one and the 1st gear could stand to be a little
lower, IMO. No 4x4 for that entry-level utility.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

If indeed I end up purchasing Al rear wheels w/tyres then I'll use the current OEM set as a spare. Then I'll only need to swap out the fronts and those are stamped 5.5" wide. All the tyres are alright except for a lot of plugs mostly in the front. Being the originals they're worn though not worn out.

Using the little Tracker as a work platform I could use the lower gearing. I really wanted a 19" rear and ITP used to manufacture a MXR4 19x10-10, but are currently discontinued. Ground clearance is 5.9 w/22". Eighteen inch would be pushing the limit for ground clearance of the trailer hitch. As is it points downward from the axle though I could have it relocated. I'd like to have the 18% reduction that an 18" tyre would bring if I thought I could pull off the limited trailer height. Which is why the 19" was so appealing to me.

I'm dropping to either a 19x6x10 or a 20x6x10 on the front. The Sedona Bazookas come in at a nice price in 20x11x10/19x6x10. I figure the smaller footprint will allow for a mite easier turning. The 11" rear width brings me back to the 8" 3+5 vs 10" 5+5 rim.

Quick Reply: YFM250XM BearTracker tyres