Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

04 Bruin 350 2x4 carb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Bruin 350 2x4 carb problem?

I started my atv this past weekend getting ready for hunting season. THe machine started fine, but when you give it throttle, it just about chokes itself to death. Let off the throttle and it slowly idles back to normal. I had a leak from the carb overflow tube earlier this year, but it only happened once and did not reappear. I think the idle/throttle issue is related to a dirty carb so I purchased a Moose Carb rebuild kit which will be here on Thursday. I have never repaired or worked on a carb before, but I can follow directions and rebuild the SpaceShuttle. So first, does this indeed sound like a carburetor problem? If so, any information on how to perform the repair, cleanup, etc... is so much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

The carb sounds like a great place to start and is probably the issue. I wouldn't have bought a rebuild kit until I saw the condition of the carb though. It could be just a simple adjustment to fix the issue. Here are some steps to service the carb.

1.) Shut off the fuel to the carb then remove the carb from the machine.
2.) At the bottom of the carb there is a screw that will allow you to drain the fuel from the float bowl. Turn the screw out until the fuel drains. (be sure to drain it into a clean container or you can drain it directly back into the fuel tank.)
3.) Once you have drained the fuel from the bowl, remove the screws on the bottom of the carb and remove the float bowl. (The seal may come lose, don't lose or tear it.)
4.) There will be 2 or 3 jets depending on the carb by the float. They will either have a space for a flat screw driver or a head for a wrench. Remove each one (remember where each one goes just in case they are similar in size--they are usually pretty obvious) makes sure that each jet is free of any obstructions. Use carb cleaner and a q-tip or soft pipe cleaner to clean them. Also clean the areas where the jets were removed from. Once cleaned, put the jets back in.
5.) Using the carb cleaner and q-tip/pipe cleaner, clean any vent holes inside the carb.
6.) Remove all the screws on the carb (remember where each one goes) and clean the areas they were removed from, then put them back in.
7.) Carefully remove the pin holding the float in the carb. The float needle will fall out as you remove the float, don't lose it. Clean the float needle seat and fuel passage and the float needle.
8.) Replace the float needle, float, and float pin.
9.) Re-assymble the carburator bowl.
10.) I'm assuming you have a diaphram carb. Take the top of the carb apart. There should be 4 screws. When you start to take out the last screw, hold on to the top part. There is a spring under it. Take the top off and remove the spring and the diaphram (usually a black rubber/plastic piece.) That will have the jet needle attatched. Clean the needle. The needle should have a small clip on it and several notches that clip can be placed on. Typically, the clip should be on the center notch. If you're getting too much fuel into the carb causing it to flood when it's on, then you may need to move the clip up a notch. This will lower the needle and allow less fuel to enter the carb. If the vehicle is choking becuase it isn't getting enough fuel, then you may need to lower the clip a notch allowing more fuel into the carb. Once you're done, re-assymble the top in reverse order. You should be able to move the slide up and down in the carb by hand easily.
11.) Put the carb back on the quad.
12.) Turn the idle screw and the air/fuel screw (whichever one it has) all the way to the right to close them. Turn the idle screw and the air/fuel screw counterclockwise 2 1/2 full turns each. This will be your starting point for carb tuning.

After you have gotten to this point, start the vehicle and see if you still have the same problem. If you no longer have the problem, then tune your carb by adjusting the idle screw and the fuel/air screw.

Start off by turning the air/fuel screw a little in both directions until you have the highest possible idle, then back your idle screw out until the vehicle is idling properly. Go back to the air/fuel screw and turn it again in both directions until you have the highest possible idle. Again, turn your idle screw out until it idles correctly. Repeat this process until you can't raise the idle with the air/fuel screw anymore and your done.

I think your problem is probably a combination of a dirty carb and your carb not being tuned. It seems like a lot when you read all of it, but it's not that hard. I hope this helps you out. If you have any questions, post em and I'll do my best to help you out.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

I'd of tried Sea Foam or a good carb cleaner in a liberal amount before I orderd parts but since you've got the kit go ahead. I think thats where the problem lies.