Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Yamaha
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 02 Kodiak rebuild advice

I am in the process of rebuilding my 02 yamaha kodiak. The reason I am rebuilding is that it started burning oil like crazy. It sat up for around 6 months or so and when I started it, it was smoking. The smoke was black/ blue and it would loose massive amounts of oil. So i thought the rings must be stuck or broken. I rode if for a solid week with it smoking, adding oil literally every 15-20 min of riding. I expected the rings to finally loosen up and stop the smoking, but it never happened. Oil also got into the cooling system which I assumed was from a bad water pump. I didn't think that it ever got hot so I didn't really expect the head gasket to be a problem. This weekend a friend and I got the motor out and pulled apart. Head gasket was blown, badly. And the rings and piston looked good. I'm now thinking that it could be a valve/ valve guide problem. So now I am going to bring the head and jug and maybe piston to a machine shop that works on bikes. My plan is to have them do a valve job and check the jug and piston. I also plan on replacing the water pump and radiator/fan as needed. Is there anything else that I should look at replacing while I have the motor out? Also what about over torquing the head bolts in hopes of preventing another gasket failure? I think they are supposed to be around 40 lbs. Seems like they could handle more. And is there a gasket that would work better than the metal one that comes from yamaha? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Nobody even has an opinion on a decent gasket set?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
02, gasket, head, kodiak, replacement