Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine help needed

ok..in another thread i was asking about throttle response after rejetting...now i have bigger problems..went out to go for a ride and checked my oil before i started the bike (oil was just changed)....it was dry..i had checked it the day before, before going on a 2 hour ride, and it had oil...so the oil had leaked out from the drain plug (it tried to strip out while changing the oil, so i got it as tight as i could..up until yesterday it hadn't leaked...so i retighten the drain plug, add oil and took her for a short ride up the road and back..everything seemed ok...then me and a buddy hit the mountains...after the bike got warmed up, i was coming down a hill, and the bike shuts off..i coast to the bottom, and try to restart..when i pushed the start button, the oil light comes on...i unscrew the dipstick to check the oil, and oil literally shoots out of the fill hole, like a foot long stream..i quickly capped it back off..gave it a minute and realized my red engine on/off switch no longer "clicked" from one position to another, it just slides left and right very easily (not normal)..so i pull start it and it fires up, i ride for while (this trail is a pretty tough one, lots of rocks, ruts, etc)..and it shuts off again..same thing..oil light comes on when i push the start button..i let it sit awhile, pull start it , and turn around to head home..on the way home it didn't shut off again (i was holding the red button toward the 'on" position with my thumb)...once i pull into my yard, i gear down to first, and it starts missing bad...at full throttle it would barely pull and was "missing"...one more thing just for information, i had flipped the bike a couple of months ago, and it had damaged the park brake assemby, one of the lines i had to push back into place..when i checked the oil when i got home, the oil didn't shoot out this time but was kinda overflowing out of the fill hole, but not as bad as before...can anyone help me on where to start??..this bike is stock except for the main jet, which i went up to a 147.5..the carb is actually apart right now, i'm cleaning it again and trying to decide what groove to put my needle clip on

Sorry for the long post but wanted to provide as much info as i can think of

Last edited by gatorchin; 08-18-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: needed to add
Old 08-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a Yamaha guy,but I think I'd check that the engine crank case vent(where ever it is) is open and venting properly. Oil shouldn't build up pressure and shoot out the dip stick,unless it's still running and you happen to pull the dip stick.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Not a Yamaha guy,but I think I'd check that the engine crank case vent(where ever it is) is open and venting properly. Oil shouldn't build up pressure and shoot out the dip stick,unless it's still running and you happen to pull the dip stick.
I checked the only hose coming off the engine (basically the opposite side where my spark plug is) and that hose went back to my air box... I disconnected it and tried to blow thru it, and could not get air to pass...took the hose completely off and blew thru no problem...I fixed my start switch, but my oil light still earns to come on when the engine is warm(I rode for 10 min) and it started acting up again...I did see that the boot in front of the carb is torn and not making a good seal...which could explain why it is backfiring , but not the oil light or oil shooting out when it is warm (when I checked it stone cold yesterday, oil still came out the fill hole, not shooting out like before but it did ooze out, like I had too much oil( I don't)...when the oil light is on, and I can't use the start button, I can usually pull start it....I just want to figure this oil issue out/ while simultaneously tuning my carb.i work a full time job, go to college full time (first day of class tomorrow), have two kids and a wife... So my quad time is gonna be limited..I really want this lined out before the weather turns( as I don't have a garage)..and I refuse to take it to a shop...if I can build a jeep I can figure ethis thing out (with a little help from my friends)