Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Wolverine slow to WOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 Wolverine slow to WOT

i have an 01 wolverine 350 i recently bought..i have being doing some work to it (replaced bent a arm, changed engine oil & gear oil, cleaned carb)..I also put a 147.5 main jet on it..when i cleaned the carb i could not get the pilot jet out and was afraid of stripping it so i left it alone..now to my problem..my brother in law has the exact same bike, except he has a dynojet kit in his, with k &n air filter (i have stock air filter that needs replaced asap)...when we set the bikes beside each other idling, when he gets on the throttle, as soon as he pushs in his bike revs up quick and goes to WOT very quickly...mine however lags behind in this aspect..it takes mine a full 1 second maybe 2 longer than his to get to WOT..here's some things i think it may be, but need some advice..this is my first quad and i'm just learning..i have my needle set on the 2nd groove, cause i read on this forum (i think) that these bikes run best with a 147.5-150 main jet, stock pilot jet, and needle on 2nd groove..here's a couple things i've been thinking could cause my lag in throttle response-

1. could be the pilot circuit causing the problem
2. could be the slide/diaphram (may be slow to raise slide?)
3. needle needs adjusted to different groove (to effectively raise the needle?)

i really want that quick throttle response that my brother in law has on his bike, so any help is greatly appreciated

Also, I do have trouble climbing hills (i live in WV)..i seem to bog down alot easier than he does..hills he can take in 3rd i can barely take in 2nd and usually have to gear down to 1st..this could be do to inexperience riding, but his seems to have alot more bottom/mid power)..again the only difference is he has the dyno jet kit and a k & N air filter (no mods to his air box) and stock muffler

P.S. when i changed my oil, the oil filter had some metal shavings on it, one side was worse than the other...is this my clutches wearing out?? The owner before me also bought this quad as his first, and i don't know how he was on the clutches)..i bought it for $800

Any body got any suggestions???