Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hot Cam help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Cam help?

so i have a 2003 Yamaha wolverine 350 4X4 with a DG high performance exhaust, QuadWorks Power kit with K&N air filter, pulsestar heart spark plugs, Helix Racing fuel line, and outerwears air box lid/cover, and it's been jetted! and my question is should i put stage 1 or 2 hot cams in it, I prefer more speed than torque and what not! if i go with stage 2 what else do i have to install on my quad, stiffer clutch springs?? i'm not sure what else please help. Thanks

Old 08-10-2013, 05:42 AM
Trailblazer

Hello, I own a warrior and when I got my hotcam I was told that the stage 2 did not need anything else done but whenever I have seen builds of the wolverine with stage 2s they always upgraded the clutch springs whether or not its necessary im not sure but for 20 something dollars it would be worth the extra piece of mind. now keep in mind ive only seen maybe 3 with them.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I guess the wolverine can use many of the Warriors and Raptors mods since it uses the same 348 motor and is a foot shifter not CVT.

One thing I always liked about the 350 Wolverine was it was and still is the lightest 4x4 ATV ever made at 485lbs.
Its even lighter then the 250 4x4s like the Timberwolf that were made and lighter then most 2wd ATV of its classs.

2000 Yamaha Wolverine ATVs

Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I would go with at least the 2 stage. Better yet, for that engine, Webcam (Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts) has a better cam for it (I like the 84 grind) but requires heavy duty valve springs installed. It says it requires a high compression piston but I had one in my Warrior (same engine) with the stock piston and it did great! It really woke that engine up. A good port job is also a reliable mod that helps these engines. I eventially added a JE 366cc high compression ( 222085 Product Detail Information - JE Pistons ) piston which I highly recommend also. They don't list anything for a Wolverine but it's the same as a Warrior. Anything over 11:1 compression will require you to run race fuel which is not a good idea for a trail bike.

Don't expect to get more "speed" from just installing a cam. A different cam allows the engine to rev up faster and rev higher, but it's mostly gearing that affects top speed. If you don't change the gearing then the only thing that will give you more top speed is the higher RPM's that you gained. A cam will however allow the engine to get to top speed faster which will make it more fun to drive.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the clutch springs. Just a cam is not going to make enough power to make the cltch slip. You could just swap the springs out the next time you replace the clutch.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

well this is what it says (Designed to work best with the Hot Rods Stroker crank and piston kit) what does that mean? do i have to upgrade the stroker and piston kit or will that just make it work better and isn't necessary?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

no its not necessary it will just give you more power then the cam alone. though if you do stroke and increase compression you will notice the difference for sure

Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Of course it would work best with a stroker crank and higher compression piston kit, but that doesn't mean it is necessary. Personally I wouldn't put a stroker crank in that engine. In my opinion it's not worth it.