Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Grizzly 660 Heat Shield

Notice a rattle coming from the front. Took side panel off and checked heat shield as it was tinny type rattle. Yes bolts all tight. But shield loose. The rubber type washers are shot. Burnt out or worn away. Figure this is my rattle.

Now best way to fix this?
1 Replace washers that wore away ?
2 Fill in space with right size fender washers and tighten heck out of it ?
3 Say the heck with it and wrap some of that heat tape they use on motorcycle exhaust on it. This one bothers me because Grizzly already has run hot problems.

What do think is best ? Thanks for your help.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it bothers you enough, replace the washers. Mine rattles and I guess I was just used to it. Replaced the V-belt last week (which really didn't even need replacing after 12 years) and heard that rattle and freaked out thinking it was something I didn't get tightened when I did the belt. I wrapped mine with that heat tape years ago before they did the original recall (heat kit from the dealership). I never did get the shield to fit good around the mess that I concocted though, and am only using half the original screws. I can live with the rattle, but I can see how it could become annoying though. If you can find the rubber washers, I'd replace them and see what that does for it. I will say this, wrapping the header pipe made a difference in mine, and this was a year before they did the dealer upgrade with the vented side panels and the foam shield under the gas tank. My heat tape is about worn out though these days. Found a chunk of it laying on the skid plate tonight actually.