Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Air Box question ; 1999 Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Box question ; 1999 Wolverine

Can someone send me or post a picture of the OEM air box / air cleaner setup mounted and installed on a 1999 Yamaha Wolverine. I think I am missing a piece that secures the air filter to the box it self. I have the wire mesh and a foam cover. I also have one metal end and one plastic piece that somewhat fits into the groove at the air intake opening that the rubber boot that is connected to the carb is. Thats all.

How does the filter assembly secure and seal to the inside of the box itself? Thanks.

Jac

Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I was looking for an actual picture. Someone to remove the seat and air box cover and snap a picture of a OEM setup. Maybe if they were nice enough to remove the air cleaner and snap a picture of the front part.

Ive looked at the diagram, however have not determined if I am missing the piece that holds the air cleaner assembly secure in the box. I have part 7, 8 and 9.

Mine has no way to secure or seal to the inside of the box. It just sits inside the box with a gap between the filter plastic and the air box wall. If it cant seal to the intake port, then there is no reason to have an air filter when unfiltered air can get into the carb and engine.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is what I am working with:

Name:  IMAG0746_zps7d7c7947.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  146.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0747_zps5cd526ff.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  89.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0748_zps550e8a0e.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  38.1 KB

There is nothing that holds the air filter element in the box. What holds it down?

There is also nothing the secure or seal the air element plastic to the air box port. ??

Am I missing any parts? This is what the bike came with. And the REASON why it had to re built is because the box was full of sand and the air element obviously didnt seal aginst the box and sucked up sand it the cylinder, destroying the piston and cylinder walls.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

No one?? anyone?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, no missing parts, it just Yamaha's great idea to use the lid to hold the filter in place, it preses on the top of that plastic piece when bolted onto the air box. Thats why its so very important to grease the foam gasket, thats the only thing that keeps dirt from being sucked right by the filter. They make adaptors that bolt into that slot, so you can use a clamp on filter, or you can rig up your own. I bought a CFM aluminum air box for my Wolverie, it comes with a flange welded in for a clamp on. The stock setup works, but you have to be sure the lid is on tight, and your use a good quality rim sealing grease for the end of the filter.
whoops........my bad, after looking closer at your pictures, you are missing the foam on the air box mount side, thats bad, without that, you have no way to seal out the dirt, you need to get a new set up or filter. I may have an old stock filter laying around if you want it.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 95wolv
Nope, no missing parts, it just Yamaha's great idea to use the lid to hold the filter in place, it preses on the top of that plastic piece when bolted onto the air box. Thats why its so very important to grease the foam gasket, thats the only thing that keeps dirt from being sucked right by the filter. They make adaptors that bolt into that slot, so you can use a clamp on filter, or you can rig up your own. I bought a CFM aluminum air box for my Wolverie, it comes with a flange welded in for a clamp on. The stock setup works, but you have to be sure the lid is on tight, and your use a good quality rim sealing grease for the end of the filter.
whoops........my bad, after looking closer at your pictures, you are missing the foam on the air box mount side, thats bad, without that, you have no way to seal out the dirt, you need to get a new set up or filter. I may have an old stock filter laying around if you want it.

Thank you for your reply. I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a picture on the part I'm missing. If you'd like to sell it, I would be interested, please PM me. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the foam gasket you are missing...looks like yours has peeled off. I have the whole filter assembly, but i see my filter is starting to split on the seam, so it would be ok as an emergency backup.

Attached Thumbnails Air Box question ; 1999 Wolverine-001.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

PM reply sent