Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 YFZ vs new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 YFZ vs new?

I have a 2006 YFZ, bout to dump crazy money in it (full suspension, intake, exhaust, jet kit, cam mod, higher compression piston, port and polish etc) but before I do, I just got a really good offer towards trading it for a bran new 2013 YFZ..
Gonna mod either one no matter what but wondering if the new ones are better then the old with all the mods, or if my 06 will be just as good? With all those mods, how high maintenance will be?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are trading for the efi, widened R, then I would probably do it. The new version of the original YFZ only really has the fact that it has the oil mod and is new going for it. Your '06 has a better carb and stock suspension(which you are replacing.) Reliability with those parts will be directly correlated to the quality piston you use and how hard you run it. Overall, the stocker is already pretty high comp. If you use quality parts it should be almost as reliable as stock.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

Yea I'm thinkin bout keepin the 06 and just doin full suspension and handling mods, intake, exhaust, jetting, well tuned, the oil mod, and maybe the cam mod too, dunno if I want to risk a higher compression piston, I keep hearing it will definitely crap on me and be wayyy more high maintenance if I play with the piston
I'm just a goon that loves to tear it up with my buddies on our own tracks and trails doin insain jackass stuff, nothin professional... I don't want higher maintenance, changing the oil and filter and air filter every 3 hours is already ridiculous especially when you go on 12 hour rides twice a week

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Range Rover

I have the 2013 yfz and its a great bike. I do however dislike the EFI and the way it is choppy on idle as compared to the carb models.... (still like not having to jet for all the elevation changes though) What I mean is it doesn't seem to ease into the throttle as compared to the carb model bikes. This may not seem right, but I've had it back to the stealership and we even had a Factory rep out to check it.... They say that's just the way its gonna run with the EFI and that bikes setup.
Its not a huge issue, but it is a pain after you spend the money we do on these things.
I have the R model and I really like the wider setup... Mostly ride trails with my bike, and some thought I might not like it due to that, but glad I went with the R now.
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just stick with what I have if I were going to mod both of them anyway.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I can't believe I did it but basically got a bran new engine, the whole motor was shot, didn't even want to salvage any parts so I just ordered all and every part needed to build an entirely bran new motor (because yamaha doesn't sell fully built new motors) just the parts to build one so that's what I did, so it was a little costly but in reality I pretty much have a bran new quad, even got the updated oil system, I also had it ported and polished, put full HMF compitition series exhaust, FCI, jetting, and tires, so yea, bran new with mods YFZ!! Gotta wait on suspension till winter, that's my riding season anyway so I don't need it right now especially for $3000+ just for suspension when I just spent $5000+... I will never buy a used quad again

Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, I pretty much replaced everything in my engine but the cases, tranny, and head and it was only about 2K. That included getting new valves and guides/seats and a little head work.
Anyway, I am sure she will be strong now. Just keep that oil changed and the filters cleaned.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Yea I honestly feel the shop I took it too is ripping me off but I'm getting a completly bran new motor built (everything entirely) plus added a full HMF competition series exhaust, jetting, tunning, FCI, port and polish, oil mod and tires, the total for everything is $5850.. Do you think that's reasonable or am I getting ripped off?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

Well even if I am getting ripped off I guess I can look at it as like for all the money total I have in the quad and what I bought it for so far it's cost me a total of $7885 and I have a bran new fresh virgin motor modded quad even tho it's technically a 2006 so I guess I can be happy justifying it that way

Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

I know people to have over 20,000 in there quad from having to rebuild there quad every race season and all the maintenance and repairs, man am I glad I'm just a goon and hopping I won't have to dump any more major money in it for at least another 4 or 5 years (except the suspension I'm getting done soon)

Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Range Rover

Hope it does what you want and holds up under the demand you intend to put it under.

Quick Reply: 2006 YFZ vs new?