Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor 350 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor 350 burning oil

Does anyone know what would cause a relatively new ATV that was bought approximately 1 year ago new as a leftover 2009 model to burn oil? I followed a well regarded break-in procedure and I don't beat the quad to death half the time so I don't see why the ATV is burning oil.
I first noticed it and I believe that it occurred after the first oil change at Little Sahara last summer, it was around 90-100°F and I was pushing the engine hard up dunes. It only occurs after you advance the rpm's following the let off of the throttle a little white smoke appears from the exhaust. When the oil is at a lower level (about 1mm above the point where you need to add) it doesn't produce visible smoke and appears to burn considerably less oil. Does anyone think that it has something to do with the piston rings, valve seats/seals, valve clearances or possibly oil level. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Come on , 86 views and no replies , you're breakin' my *****.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It only occurs after you advance the rpm's following the let off of the throttle a little white smoke appears from the exhaust.
Typical of a valve guide/seal problem.

What brand and type of oil you using?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
Typical of a valve guide/seal problem.

What brand and type of oil you using?
Thanks for the response, I use Yamalube 10w40 oil, its just weird, the motor only has around 50 hours on it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

What you have to understand is these are not one of race motors. These are production motors built very quickly on a production line.

Once in a while one gets through that is not quite right. Yours could be that one.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very possible a bit of dirt or sand got into the motor. It doesn't take much to ruin the ride unfortunately.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

What you have to understand is these are not one of race motors. These are production motors built very quickly on a production line.

Once in a while one gets through that is not quite right. Yours could be that one.
I think that it is also important to understand that when one drops 4 grand on a new machine, one expects that machine to function properly, especially considering that this is supposed to be one of the more reliable engines that Yamaha produces.
I might throw an oil cooler on the machine since it only smokes when hot and see if that will help, but at this point I'll probably just wait until it needs a rebuild which will be a long time.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I agree with you 110%.

But, as Scoot pointed out; and rightfully so, if for some reason a bit of sand or dirt or water gets in that engine, things can get loose in a hurry.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much unless it's fouling a plug or burning tons of oil.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The raptor does not come with a oil cooler stock?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with you 110%.

But, as Scoot pointed out; and rightfully so, if for some reason a bit of sand or dirt or water gets in that engine, things can get loose in a hurry.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much unless it's fouling a plug or burning tons of oil.

Good luck!
Yeah thanks, I'll just see what the cooler does. I don't think that any air cooled engine likes temperatures in excess 90°F.

Originally Posted by TLC
The raptor does not come with a oil cooler stock?
No, it doesn't, but I think any air cooled engine should have one. Especially since the Kansas summers are not very cool.

Quick Reply: New Raptor 350 burning oil