Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 Kodiak Idle problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Kodiak Idle problems.

Hello all, this is my first post after reading threads here and there. I really like the website so I figured I would join, so go easy on me on my first thread.

I bought a 05 Yamaha Kodiak 450 in February. It ran great at first, but I started to have idle problems. When I crank it up after it has sat for awhile, it idles fine for about 1 minute, then it dies. Cranks right up with push of the starter button but I have to give it a little gas to keep it running. Once I get going it runs fine minus the occasional backfire, but it will not idle hardly at all when it gets warm and it just chokes/sputters and sometimes eventually dies. The oil did smell like gas when I changed it and the spark plug was black so I assume its running rich. I should also mention that when looking at the carb, I saw tiny drips of gas coming out the bottom. I really dont know what would cause that. Would this be a float stuck or Jets needing to be cleaned? I am mechanically inclined, but the thought of tearing down the carb scares me as I have never done one before. So any info/tricks and tips would be awesome.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you guys good info so I can get this baby running smooth again.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

This does sound like a dirty carb. It's really not that hard to take apart and clean just pay attention to things when you take it apart. As far as the leeking gas it could be a bit of dirt or maybe a worn needle and seat. Just pay attention and you will be fine. Be carefull with the screws on the float bowl the round out easy. A spring loaded center punch works great for removing the float pin. Good luck

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Range Rover

I agree with woodsidewarrior but first get a good carb cleaner. I use Sea Foam but whatever is local will be fine. Give it a good shot maybe a little extra and drive the heck out of it and see what happens. If it still leaks and won't idle your gonna have to tear it apart. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Oldbear
I agree with woodsidewarrior but first get a good carb cleaner. I use Sea Foam but whatever is local will be fine. Give it a good shot maybe a little extra and drive the heck out of it and see what happens. If it still leaks and won't idle your gonna have to tear it apart. Good luck.

Yea I have tried Sea Foam and carb cleaner before. Put Sea Foam directly into the carb and in the gas tank. Neither worked. O well time to get my hands dirty, and get the carb torn down.