Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450 rectifier quesion

Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 rectifier quesion

so i bought an 06 kodiak450 with knowing the stator was bad and that the battery was not charging. I replaced my stator (sure enough it was shot) and the new one was charging at idle it was around 12v and on a rev I had the meter bump 13.7v.I thought i was supposed to be mid 14's on a rev. This weekend we went for a ride and about 2.5 hours later I noticed it got hard to start (could pull start no prob) . we rode home and I checked the idle voltage it was 11.57v with no change on rev. I checked the retifier cause I've always believed in replacing both when you do a stator, and when I touched the rectifer it was hotter than the exhaust that was touching my shoulder. after it cooled off i loaded the bike and in a few min(less than five) rectifier was again too hot to touch. my question is would it be a correct assumption to think that the stator is still working since the rectifier is getting stupid hot ? and before buy a new one is the rectifier shot because thats what I came up with? btw if I hrow a trickle charger to it will start just fine.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update. I just installed my new rectifier and I'm now overcharging my batt. As opposed to the old one that was not charging at all. I'm lost now I've checked continuity on stator and its good had the batt. Tested and its good . Is it possible that I got a bad rectifier sent to me. With the volt meter hooked to the batt I get. Readings all the way to 19v and higher with higher revs. Any ideas of where to look for issues

Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

turns out the issue was with the rectifier itself. the one i ordered was DOA had it replaced on warranty. the one I received to replace it lasted about 2 hrs. run time on the clock. i have a factory OEM now and no problems. i wont order from caltric again. stick with what your gut and never order cheap knock offs when it comes to electronics. I always buy name brand from t.v.'s to car audio and when i decided to be cheap it bit me in the rump. at least now the wife don't question the price when it comes to electronics