Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

newbie help please

Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help please

hi guys. im matt from wales in the uk.
i just swapped my road legal zilla for a (1998-9) yamaha kodiac 400 (last saturday) and im having some trouble.
im not to bad at mechanics, but not experienced on quads.
the quad needs a fair bit of work unfortunately. i have already changed the front brakes, half shaft gaiters and front wheel bearings.

now i need help!

1a. it has had a new starter motor put in, but it wont start the quad. the starter turns as it should, but that is it. it sounds like it isnt turning the engine at all. the teeth mesh up with the gear inside as far as i can tell. with the starter motor out, i can put my finger inside and turn the big gear. there is a little resistance like it wants to spring back, but it is possible to turn it fully. it doesnt feel like its turning the engine over.
is that right or is there something wrong? any advise on fixing it please?

1b. if i take the pull start off, there is a cover behind it. can i take this off to get to the gear that the starter meshes with? are there any springs etc behind the cover? is it full of oil? is it a hard job?

2. the pull start is off a 660 apparently and it is very stiff. sometimes it turns the engine over and you can hear the compression (and i have started the engine with it) but other times it just sounds like a whine and no putt putt of compresion sound. is this right or is there something wrong? any advise on fixing it please?

3. rear brakes are seized in the off position. i can fix it if i get the drum off, but i cant get it off! ive heated it, soaked it in wd40, taken a hammer to it and used a hub puller. its stuck solid on the splines. any ides how to free it up?

4. the front wheels arnt working in 4x4. the shaft from the engine seems to not be connected to the UJ. is it snapped or is there just a bolt that joins the 2 parts that may of come out? also the UJ is very loose so will need replacing. how do i get it separated from the front diff?

think thats it for now. the starter is the main issue at the mo.
any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

anybody??? 72 views and no replies. am i just being so stupid that no-one can be bothered to reply? or are they genuinely hard questions that no-one knows the answer to?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

seriously? no help at all? time to join another forum. useless.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes sounds like your atv has an bad starter clutch one way bearing....These type starting system doesnt have an starter bendix...So they have an one way bearing thats locks in place when engine isnt running, then when starter button is pressed the starter engages gear, then locked [oneway gear] rotates engine...then when engine cranks gear free wheels until engine stops again..Sounds like your one way [starter clutch assy] is slipping..When you remove case cover yes you will have starter reduction gear that could fall out but no big deal tho..You have to remove flywheel with an special puller designed for the atv. IMO if use any other type you could damage flywheel or crankshaft or both.. Im not familar with this flywheel BUT if like most flywheel it willbe threaded in the center of flywheel with female threads...

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Look at this photo an you can see photo of parts #8 and #11

Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

This also is an great place to order your parts from...I order from them every day...

Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Let me re phrase my post...The one way gear kicks out into starter motor shaft when engine isnt running and locks the big gear into oneway when engine is running..I should have proof read my first post before I posted it..If you get confused still just ask here an Were try to iron it for you..

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanx. so do i just need parts 8 and 11? or do i need to order anything else?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I would inspect parts first..Could just have loose bolts that hold oneway on flywheel..But prolly not.....Just inspect to see if you need big gear..look for dry and gaulded spots on neck of gear that seat into oneway...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newbie help please