Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just got a blaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a blaster

I just bought a blaster off a friend for $50. He said his brother tried kick starting it and it was turning over fine but then the kick start stuck down and they had to pull it up by hand. Now it feels seized, it won't push down. This was the first time they tried getting it running, they didn't even know if it ran prior to the kick start messing up. Do you think the motor could have seized up from trying to kick start it or could it just be something in the kick start assembly. This is my first blaster and first kick start so I need some tips on where to start. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

have you tried push/pull starting it?...and if it were me id start by taking the clutch case off and check to see if the kick start spring n gears arent bound up...

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

No I haven't the back tires are shot and don't hold air. I put it up on a jack stand and tried turning the wheel but that didn't seem to work. Thanks for the input though I'll check that out tomorrow.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

Where is the vin number located on these and how do I decipher what year it is? I'm trying to figure out what parts are compatible through the years. All the sites list everything from '88-06 but I know there was some design changes on the plastics and stuff.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

I found out it's a 2000. I gotta pull the flywheel, there seems to be something wedged behind it not sure if that's whats seizing it. Also the crank threads are stripped, is it possible to re-thread it or am I looking at a rebuild here? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you will be having some fun with that. Check flywheel key too go over it all. What area ate you from I'm in pa just in case you need some help

Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by steven jaffe
Sounds like you will be having some fun with that. Check flywheel key too go over it all. What area ate you from I'm in pa just in case you need some help
I'm in upstate ny, around plattsburgh area roughly.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

Ok that's cool so how are you making out with your new toy?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by steven jaffe
Ok that's cool so how are you making out with your new toy?
I haven't messed with it much since I got it. I'm waiting for my new tools I ordered so I can start tearing it down. I bought a flywheel puller and a tool to hold the clutch and flywheel. I can post some pics of the piece that's wedged behind the flywheel. I'm thinking the woodruff key came loose or something broke in the flywheel/stator and lodged in there. It's in there good too, I figured I would wait for the tools to pull the flywheel instead of pounding on it, I gave it a few taps with a screwdriver and hammer but it's not budging.

Name:  flywheel2.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  flywheel1.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  20.0 KB

Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

When you get it off really inspect tour flywheel before you put back on and when you put back together use an impac gun and if will get that tight so it won't come loose I have had that happen on my sons blaster. If you have any questions let me know. Is give you my cell but I don't know if we are aloud.

Quick Reply: Just got a blaster