Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 big bear carb issues.... Frustrated

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 big bear carb issues.... Frustrated

Hey fellas, I'm still workin on getting my big bear up to snuff. Long story short, I had the carb worked on in October and now it's leaking from the vent tube and the pilot screw. Takin it back to the shop is out, I have a thread on that issue in the general section. Anyway, I took it apart today and tried to clean it a little. After much fighting and fussing I managed to get it back in and I started the motor. I let it run for a while, and no leaks. But as so on as I shut it off, it started leaking. To make things worse, it seems to not run quite as we'll as. It did before hand so I'm worried I screwed it up worse. This was my first time taking a carb apart and I didn't have much luck. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would check the float and needle and seat. If it is puking gas after you shut it off the float is allowing gas to flow. The float and/or needle is either stuck or there is blockage not allowing the float to close the needle.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

I checked that when I had it apart, I sprayed carb cleaner through the seat and put everything back together. My cousin mentioned that it may be an adjustable needle, and that it may be adjusted incorrectly, but he couldn't say for sure without seeing it in person.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carb leaking

The float needle is only adjustable by bending the tab that moves it. The main needle is adjustable by raising or lower the c-clip on the top of the needle.

To check the float needle blow or put some low pressure air into the fuel connection on the carb then raise and lower the float. With the float raised there should be no air passing through the needle. With the float lowered air should pass freely.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I'll give that a shot here when I get a chance. I'm in the middle of trying to sell my truck and trying to figure out what to replace it with. Ill try that his weekend. Dang that things a pain to take back off.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I feel your pain.

I bought a set of open end wrenches with a ratchet box end on the other end at Harbor freight. That sure makes a difference for carb removal and a lot of other places.

Metric Ratcheting Combo Wrench Set - 7 Piece

Good luck

Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a set of ratchet wrenches, it's the throttle cable, choke cable, and nearly stripped screws that irritate me. I was almost ready to set the whe thing on fire before I got the throttle cable attached last time.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you talking about the float bowl screws being striped?

I bought a bag of stainless hex metric screws a long time ago and have replaced those worthless float bowl zinc screws that they use.

I'm chasing an air leak right now on the mini I got for the grandkids. I traded some stuff for it but am thinking I should have just bought a new one so I know what I have to deal with.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Those aren't an issue yet, it's the screws that clamp the rubber boots on each end of the carb. They're gettin rough. Yea used stuff can be hit or miss lol

Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hoping to get around to it this weekend, I've got this plus starting to tear down my 78 chevy 4x4 for a rebuild on my list. Hopefully I can make some progress. 2 of my three toys are broken down and it's driving me nuts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 big bear carb issues.... Frustrated