Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why leave this motor out of ATVs Yamaha?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why leave this motor out of ATVs Yamaha?

ENGINE 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, 3-valves, liquid-cooled
HORSEPOWER 80 hp
DISPLACEMENT 499 cc
BORE X STROKE 77 x 53.6 mm
CARBURETION 43 mm fuel injection

http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...cleCode=180179
Its in this snowmobile they class a "entry sled" .Yamaha Phazer GT.

It makes more hp then most Big Bore ATVs made with only 500cc and its a 4 stroke!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I struggle with that thought sometimes as well.

I think each manufacturer should make something to rival the 1000 cc outlander!

Would be cool to get 80hp in a grizzly!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because an atv is not a sled- and the yamaha drive train, suspension & ecm would need to be upgraded to support that kind of HP- which translates into more $$$- and people buy yamaha's because they are a decent (not in my opinion) cheap atv- have you ever compared the axles (and drive train) of a can-am or polaris to the axles of a yamaha grizzly? can-am & polaris axles are 30% thicker than the yamaha's grizzly's axles-
can you imagine what would happen to a grizzly if you popped an 80 hp rotax power plant into it? things would break.

upgrades cost money- if people wanted high hp atv's that have been engineered to handle high HP- then they'd shell out the extra money to the manufacturer who hires the engineers to design an atv to handle 80hp motors... in other words, they'd buy a can-am or polaris

plus- japanese 4x4 atv manufacturers are a bit behind in regards to 4x4 "innovation"... can-am / BRP & polaris are leading that front at the moment in all 4x4 aspects.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess what a person had to say is it would be nice if yamaha implemented a 80 horse engine into a quad.

I never meant just throw the 80 horse engine into the current setup, more of have a 80 horse quad to compete with the competition.

I guess thats one thing that companies like yamaha prove to everyone, ya dont NEED high hp to make a rock solid atv.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by preppypyro
I never meant just throw the 80 horse engine into the current setup, more of have a 80 horse quad to compete with the competition.

I guess thats one thing that companies like yamaha prove to everyone, ya dont NEED high hp to make a rock solid atv.
that's exactly my point- it wouldn't be "rock solid" if you put an 80hp engine into it... it would require many upgrades. Adding many upgrades means more $$$- and people don't want to spend lots of $$$ on an atv. That's why some people buy grizzly's and not outlander's; for no other reason then being thousands of dollars cheaper.

HP cost money-

Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh of course hp costs money, no one said it didnt.

They could keep the grizzly line and add a higher hp market dont ya think?

Im a fan of many brands, but yamaha has a large enough cult like following that they could make it work I bet!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Oh of course hp costs money, no one said it didnt.

They could keep the grizzly line and add a higher hp market dont ya think?

Im a fan of many brands, but yamaha has a large enough cult like following that they could make it work I bet!
I'm sure there would be many happy fans to see a more powerful engine in the yamaha line-up... until they saw the price tag. But yeah- they'd sell for sure.
but even so- for some odd reason, the only japanese manufacturer to really step up to the HP plate has been kawasaki with their brute force 750 twin- suzuki & yamaha seem to be just selling atv's with BNG the last couple of years- don't even get me started on honda- they still can't even make a front locking diff or offer an engine with an OHC- which is basically industry standard at this point!
The japanese atv's were strong pre 2005- but since then can-am & polaris have been really just decimating the 4x4 scene every year with unbelievable suspension / chassis innovations and 4x4 features.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess it depends what ya use an atv for. I see that can am is pretty popular right now due to the suspension and power. I have a ton of hunting buddies and not one of them guys buys can am, cause it doesnt suit their needs. Which was always strange to me cause ive been a brp fan since one of my first sleds we had when I was 5 years old.

Agreed about honda, they could make a killing by opening their minds a little regarding the technology of their etv's, and the following that honda has, well is unheard of almost.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I guess it depends what ya use an atv for. I see that can am is pretty popular right now due to the suspension and power. I have a ton of hunting buddies and not one of them guys buys can am, cause it doesnt suit their needs. Which was always strange to me cause ive been a brp fan since one of my first sleds we had when I was 5 years old.

Agreed about honda, they could make a killing by opening their minds a little regarding the technology of their etv's, and the following that honda has, well is unheard of almost.
honda has lost a lot of fans over the last couple of years-
it just doesn't appear they even care about the atv market anymore.
can't even say BNG for their rincon lineup - the 2003 looks identical to the 2013!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know its ridiculous!

I will admit, I dont even know a whole lot about the honda atv's. Rode one of the earlier ones, didnt care for it, never looked back.

They could really use a higher hp atv though, guys would snap em up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why leave this motor out of ATVs Yamaha?