Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Terrapro stalls engaging PTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Yamaha Terrapro stalls engaging PTO

I'm at a loss.. I've had this Terrapro since new and used the rough cut mower every year at my mountain ranch. Never had a problem until now. The engine stalls as I move the PTO lever forward to engage it. Tried removing the mower with the two point hookup lever bushing in place and still stalls. Otherwise the ATV runs great as long as the PTO is not engaged. Checked the seat switch and it's fine, topped all fluids, everything looks clean.
In the meantime, the brush weeds are growing out of control and realize how dependent I've become on this amazing machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

it will stall if you are in high gear. just a thought

Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks coledj,.. I realize that and have gone through the entire checklist according to the manual. Set gear to 'low' and engage the lever slowly while in neutral. The minute I move the pto lever even an inch forward, the engine goes into stall. I can get the engine back running again if I move the pto lever back to its original position fast enough, before completely stalling out. Otherwise I have to restart the engine.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Lightbulb Yamaha Terrapro stalls engaging PTO

I have a Terrapro that also stalls, at times, when I attempt to put PTO on. What I have done is run it around a bit fast without PTO engaged first, just some circles then attempt to engage. I have also tried reving the engine up 3 or 4 times, prior to attempting the PTO, then it will go in without stalling. You can also try backing it up. Sometimes the connection is a bit off for the PTO. One of these ideas has always worked for me in getting it worked out. I hope one of them helps you too?!?!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know beck.. I've tried engaging the pto slowly and quickly while varying the rpm from low to full throttle. I think the disconnect is some kind of safety electronic shut off that's happening. I think what you're saying is to try engaging the pto while 'push starting' the engine such as driving it downhill. At this point I'll try anything so I will try that next. Thanks for the tip and will let you know

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am curious what you find. I had jsut got mine running a while back and tried to engage the PTO then had a bear of a time getting it started after it stalled. I think there is a safety cutout linked on the PTO control unit under the front fender. I suspect it is actually tied into the cruse control on the left front fender.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sure thing.. It starts and runs beautifully as long as the pto is not engaged. The pto throttle lever or 'cruise control' as you call it, does not stall the engine. It's only the lever that lowers the pulley that stalls the engine as soon as I move the lever forward. I'll keep you posted as I dig deeper into what's causing it. I agree that it must be an electronic switch of some kind that disconnects the engine. I've ordered a 400 page repair manual and should get it any day now. I'm hoping the answer is in there. I'll let you know.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have much to add, looks like you guys have a bit of experience with the Terrapro, I did some reading, and as stated, it will stall if the PTO is engaged in Hi range, so, does that mean there is an indicator or selector switch that tells it when it is in HI or LO range? Getting that manual is a great idea, that will more than likely show you what interlocks are used to run the PTO, sounds to me like a gear indicator switch is bad, so it thinks it is in HI range all the time, and stalls when PTO is engaged.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's a smart lead to follow.. Gosh, I didn't think of that and it makes a lot of sense.
I removed the seat and air filter chamber, and the only thing the pto lever does is pull a spring tensioned cable which lowers down the idle pulley into the tension of the driving belts. That is how the pto gear shaft gets rolling. As far as I could see I couldn't find any switch connected to the pto lever or cable. We do know that when put in high gear, the engine will stall if the pto is engaged. I'll look at the Low/High gear lever for the disconnect switch that may be the culprit. Thanks 95wolv

Five more days and I can't wait to get back to the ranch!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rayroc what did you find?

just wondering if you found out anything on the stall problem. You've got me curious and its a tough deal since I don't have a cat!

Quick Reply: Yamaha Terrapro stalls engaging PTO