Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Terrapro stalls engaging PTO

Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The deadline for Fire Department brush clearing is supposed to be today... Which means I better get my butt back to the ranch and solve this problem once and for all. Man I've got a lot of work to do and don't wanna be having to use weed eaters for a week. With the Terrapro I can get it all done in less than a day
With all the fires going on in Colorado, I'm sure the Fire Dept. won't be cutting any slack.
I finally got the repair manual so hopefully that will help.
Will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck man !!, my brother just got back into his house in Colorado Springs, houses burned less than 4 miles from him, so I send you the best of luck in your battle out there !!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can you tell me what you found out on your pto problem on your terrapro. I am having the same issue with mine and can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayroc
That's a smart lead to follow.. Gosh, I didn't think of that and it makes a lot of sense.
I removed the seat and air filter chamber, and the only thing the pto lever does is pull a spring tensioned cable which lowers down the idle pulley into the tension of the driving belts. That is how the pto gear shaft gets rolling. As far as I could see I couldn't find any switch connected to the pto lever or cable. We do know that when put in high gear, the engine will stall if the pto is engaged. I'll look at the Low/High gear lever for the disconnect switch that may be the culprit. Thanks 95wolv

Five more days and I can't wait to get back to the ranch!
This is an old thread but the solution was never stated. The gear selector need to be in Low gear. Slow speed, high rpms. Next if the engine dies engaging the governor level means the implement switch at the left rear attachment point is defective in some way. May sure your in first or second gear as well.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Governor Stalls Engine, Terrapro

Hi The.Kid,
I'm not sure if you're still checking these threads. I've got a 1988 Yamaha Terrapro with the symptoms you described above. Sometimes when I try to engage the governor lever it stalls the engine. You suggested the problem is probably the rear left hitch safety switch. I don't think I can buy a new one. How do you suggest I bypass the implement switch? Should I just cut it off and splice the two wires together? I hope this message reaches you safely. Thanks!
BlancDeBlanc

Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I rewired the switch to a toggle up near the handle bars. If I want to go in high gear I flip the switch. Also makes a great kill switch when using the pto. Thanks

Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Terrapro stalling

Originally Posted by mginwyo
just wondering if you found out anything on the stall problem. You've got me curious and its a tough deal since I don't have a cat!
Originally Posted by Bryan Beha
I rewired the switch to a toggle up near the handle bars. If I want to go in high gear I flip the switch. Also makes a great kill switch when using the pto. Thanks
Have same problem wondering if you could tell me where wire is so can do same to my terrapro sounds like good deal having kill switch thanks

Old 06-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Clovej
Have same problem wondering if you could tell me where wire is so can do same to my terrapro sounds like good deal having kill switch thanks
clove search on FB Terrapro. I made a page with the wiring diagram

Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you still can’t find it let me know.