Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Rim Q's

Old 11-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Rim Q's

Just picked up a 2003 Kodiak 400 2WD and am now totally cornfused about rim sizes and offsets. It came with 2 sets of tires/wheels. The ones on it appeared to be Honda's. The front tires were mounted on the rear rims and visa-versa. I tried to swap front to rear and the rims rubbed the brake caliper when torqued down. The rears did not have the right offset and the tire base was 4" narrower. So I put the black (stock?) rims on it. The rears had the right offset and the fronts worked, but they too had the front and rear tires flip-flopped. So I picked up a used take off set from a guy at work with a 2004 Kodiak 400 4x4. The rear rims were correct, but the front rubbed the caliper when torqued. I looked them up on Yamaha and they had the same PN's for both quads fronts. I need to come up with a set of front rims that don't rub the caliper and have 6 out of the twelve that won't work! My first Q is how do I measure the rim's web offset. My second is how do I make sure a new (used) front rim set won't rub the caliper. Just need to pick up an extra front rim set and sell the six that don't fit. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer.

Denny