Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blaster upgrades

om im 15 and own a blaster and want to know what mods to put on it?

i was thinking,reeds,toomey,b1,big,bore kit,k&n filter air+oil,itp tyres,renthal bars
anything else i should get and could you reccomend the best make of each of these and any other upgrades to go along with it also going to put on a trailtech vapour

Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Oisincas
om im 15 and own a blaster and want to know what mods to put on it?

i was thinking,reeds,toomey,b1,big,bore kit,k&n filter air+oil,itp tyres,renthal bars
anything else i should get and could you reccomend the best make of each of these and any other upgrades to go along with it also going to put on a trailtech vapour
What year Blaster? If it's 2003 or newer, change the rear hubs to Raptor/YFZ450/Banshee or similar to allow for a better selection of wheel and tire sizes. What tires you buy will depend on something other than a name.... how they're going to be used is important.

If it's older than 03 plan on adding some decent rear brakes as well.

I haven't felt the need to change my handle bars, but I can see why some folks do it....

The air intake mods are good as long as you open up the air box a little more (extra vents available).

Keep in mind, any running gear mods you make, reduce the durability as well (all of them except the wheel/tire mods... and even then you can cause higher wear...). You'll have to do a lot more repairs and maintenance to keep on riding.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

It would be wise to save your money and just ride it and have fun like it is. You will never get your money back if you sell it, you reduce the reliability anytime you modify it, and you can spend alot of money to just gain a few horsepower.

With that said, if you insist to modify it, a UNI filter, Toomey pipe, jet kit, reed spacer, and a timing degree key are fairly cheap upgrades to help the power. If you know of a good machine shop you could have them shave the head for about $40, that will give you more compression. The Holeshot GNCC tires are good for trail riding because they offer 6 ply, excellent traction in all terrains, and are lightweight so they don't rob a lot of horsepower.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now that u say that what would be a wise upgrade from a blaster a little bigger but not like a banshee size and would accept upgrades a little better

Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I normally like Yamahas but I don't think you would be happy with the next step up from a Blaster - a Raptor 350. The Honda 400EX is a good reliable machine and you can get used ones for pretty cheap. The suspension and brakes are great, too. The Suzuki LTZ400 (same as Kawasaki KFX400) is right in line with the Honda 400EX, but they don't have the reliable reputation of the Honda.