Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Breeze 2001 Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Breeze 2001 Starter Problems

Hi,

My daughter has a 2001 Yamaha breeze. It will not start.

The starter turns but it will not engage all the time. After trying a few times, it would eventually start. It did this for a month and now every time you try to start it, it will not engage but does spin.

I've read that it is the one way bearing but I'm not sure exactly what this is. Does anyone know the exact part I need to order to fix this problem?

Thank you,

Elizabeth

Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

First off welcome Elizabeth .

Now to your problem. You've read correctly. You have a one way bearing or sprag problem with your Breeze.

The one way bearing is exactly that. It lets the starter grab a shaft when the starter is ingaged but when the engine starts it let the shaft spin freely the other way. The one way is located under the left outer case cover in back of the clutch.

The one way will look like a bearing but it will have springs around the side of it. 3 or 4 if I remember correctly. These springs get hot and will loose their tention. The bad thing is the one way costs about 50 bucks but the springs will be the only thing that is bad.......but you can't just buy the springs. Go figure hu?

I think part 9 is what you will need. Yamaha Parts, Yamaha Snowmobile Parts, Yamaha ATV Parts, Yamaha Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha Accessories at wholesale prices) I would double check with a Yamaha dealer to make sure this is the sprag you need. (It's been many years ago I did mine)

I don't know if you plan to do this repair? But it took quite a few tools and time for me to do it. The floorboard has to come off . The case side has to come off and the clutch and quiet a bit of other stuff.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this is not a job for an amateur IMHO.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much!

Although I'm pretty nifty with a set of tools, I will not be trying to do this myself. A co-worker of mine will attempt it for me. :-) He's very experienced with this sort of thing. (thank goodness as Yamaha wants to charge me $575.) I only paid $1000 for the entire thing two years ago.

Do you know if the screws on the casing require a special screwdriver to get them loose?

Thank you for your help!

Elizabeth

Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No problem El.

About the part number I gave you. I think it's wrong. That is the bad news. The good news is you can just call your local Yamaha and tell them you need the part number for the one way for your Breeze, then you can order it from whoever. Or you can just have them order it for you so your friend can install it for you.

About the case screws. They are just phillips type screws. The problem is they are tighter than a $#$^$&%^$ in the case. Not only that they have thread locker on them from the factory. Your friend will need an impact gun or a impact driver to get these out of the case. You may or may not need a case gasket depending on how lucky and careful your friend is. I got lucky.

Once you get inside of the case the rest of the job is cake. Getting to the part is 80% of the job IIRC.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you again.

The part you listed was correct. My friend took the casing and running board off. He figured he would need an impact screw driver but instead he used a big screw driver and knocked the screws loose before removing them.

He tried to start it once more before taking the starter off. It tried to start the first time but not the second time. So he got to thinking.... it has something to do with the one way but if the springs are bad, it wouldn't work any of the time.... hmmm??

Once he got inside to look at things, he was able to see that the part (the one you gave the link to) was just spinning. He then removed the part. He cleaned it really good and put a few drops of oil on the springs. He put the 4-wheeler back together and now the "locking wheel" seemed to work and the starter was able to grab a hold of the one way. The Breeze now works perfectly! woo hoo!!!!

My friend said the 4-wheeler sat for a few months and it's also been 100+ degrees here in Texas for 60 days, so that piece probably was just "gummed" up.

It took him about 3 hours to do everything, including the oil change. It probably would have taken me about 40 hours but luckily it was much easier for him. He has every tool available a man could ever dream of having.

It's a good thing I didn't pay Yamaha all that money for nothing.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Right on!!! Great story El.

Glad it worked out for you and glad you did not have to buy a new one way bearing. A lot of times all is takes is a little cleaning and care.

Again glad to hear all is well.