Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior 350 inconsistent spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior 350 inconsistent spark

Bought my buddies 350 warrior off of him that needed some work. I got it to run decent, but it would backfire and sputter when given a lot of gas and revved really high. It would also be a pain to start sometimes.

Now, all of a sudden I can't seem to get it to start at all. I did the parking break fix, fixed the reverse switch, and also the clutch sensor. So it's none of those things. It was running fine, then all of a sudden I went to start it once time, and it wouldn't

I removed the spark plug and noticed it's only getting a spark about 10% of the time. I will crank the engine over and the spark plug just doesn't spark, only every once in a while. So I'm wondering what you guys think the problem is? It's getting a spark, it's just VERY inconsistent. I also replaced the ignition coil thinking it might be that, but it's not. =/

Any ideas? My remaining guesses would be either the CDI, spark plug cap, or stator.

I'm a little confused on what exactly the stators function is EXACTLY. I know it is to recharge the battery, but why would that effect start-up? I thought starting was governed by the battery? Maybe I'm just a little mechanically confused there. Also confused on how to test the stator if it's working with a volt meter. I'm seeing thing saying check the "blue wire" and such, but I don't see a blue wire, etc.

Hmm.. Any help would be appreciated! I'd like to not have to buy more parts if they aren't the fix of the problem.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stators were a bit of a problem in some Warriors, there is also an adjustment for the firing coil,some gap that needs to be set to get a good spark, had the same problem on my 95 Wolverine, which is the same engine. It broke up bad when running top speed, the dealer made some adjustments for the gap on the firing trigger for the stator, and that took care of it. If you only have spark part of the time, its probably stator related.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to follow this up. So I replaced the stator and the pickup coil. The old pickup coil (little piece that detects when to spark), had a chewed up wire coming out of it, which I think may have been the main culprit. Anyhow, I replaced the stator and the pickup coil both just to be sure. Quad has a great spark now! Sparks all the time and is bright as can be! Was so happy when I saw that spark! Haha.

The quad still likes to sputter and choke at really high revs when it's in like 3rd or 4th gear, but that is probably a whole 'nother problem. I'm going to mess with the carb and hopefully get rid of the sputtering and choking.

But yea, just wanted to follow up and say that this is solved now. The stator/pickup coil was the culprit to getting no/weak spark for anybody out there with similar problems.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The miss at high rpm is actually floating the valves, the factory valve springs need to be up graded if you like to run it at top end for long periods, like racing or duning.