Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior reliable????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior reliable????

I am looking at a 2001 Yamaha Warrior 350. Just wondering if it is still reliable and that it is not getting to old. Also wanted to know what tire I should put on the Warrior to go through some mud holes on my trails. The bike has full FMF exhaust with powerbomb header out to an FMF Powercore 4, K&N filter, Dyno jet kit, DG nerf bars Aftermarket front and rear bumpers, aftermarcket skid plates, hand and thumb warmers, larger rear sprocket, new chain and newer rear tires. Also wanted to if $2000 is a good deal for this bike. And do you need a jet kit if you have a upgraded exhaust system.

Looking forward to your input
Thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The warrior has a pretty low tech motor, and there are plenty of them out from the mid 80's and up still running strong. The machine is basically unchanged from its' inception('86) other than color choice. Even the Raptor 350 is much the same, just with some suspension/chassis updates and fresh plastics. Reliability is one of its' strong suits. Having said that, you need to realize this is an atv, bearings and bushings wear out and need replaced and so on. They all need more maintenance than your average lawn tractor or whatever.

Any time you modify the motor to make more(or less) power, it is almost automatic it will need rejetting. An aftermarket exhaust allows the motor to pump more air through, that needs to be matched with larger jets (more fuel.)

A good all around tire that will work well in mud is the Maxxis RazrII. With this tire you can go through reasonable mud, but they still handle well on wide variety of terrain and aren't as heavy as many mud tires. I see people run mud lites or Carlisle Stryker type tires too, but I much prefer the knobby tires. Much better all around performance with those.