Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Some problems I noticed on my kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some problems I noticed on my kodiak 450

First off, it has been leaking oil for awhile. I finally took off the metal aftermarket skid plate and inspected the area. I think it must be coming from the oil change bolt as oil accumulates on the plastic skid plate then makes its way to the lowest point and drips from the holes that came with the plastic skid plates. I did tighten the oil change bolt up a little tighter hoping this is the cure.

Second problem is I noticed a clamp was disconnected in the rear which looks like some rubber hose connects to and is directed out to a plastic pipe which runs to the top rear by the tail light. Is this another air line? I think it has been off for a long time, cause I started noticing when I get into water over 2' it causes the engine to bog and this never used to happen before that.

So the question is: Is there to air cleaner lines that run into the engine? The rear has no filter that I know of or seen. I am having a very hard time being able to only use one hand to get the clamp back over the rubber tube, then I got to tighten it with alan wrenches. Is there an easier way to access this pipe and be able to tighten it up? I was thinking maybe getting the atv up on the rear standing it up, then take off the bottom plastics to access this area.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

I broke another stud when trying to take off my tire again. Everytime it seems. Yamaha must use cheap quality studs. Now I need to look into stainless steal studs, cause this is starting to get old real fast. I made arrangments to drop it off at the yamaha dealership on the 13th. I'm not touching anything on my atv anymore, rather it break at the dealership and let them deal with the bullshit.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

I always use anti-seize on all my lugs( truck,atv,etc ) and use a torque wrench, no problems!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

I never had problems with any other vehicle when it came to taking off a wheel with an impact gun, including ZTR mowers. I'll let the yamaha dealer take the lugs off, so the studs can break off for them. I have other minor stuff that needs addressing like my winch which hasn't been working for over 10 months, oil leak where I have no idea where it's leaking from (perhaps the bleeder) who knows. All I wanted to do was take the ******* wheel off and get a better point of view, thats all. And this **** happens, AGAIN! ATV has under 600 miles on it, it's BS! Pay $105 for a new battery for it this year, because Yamaha designed the atv to accomadate a slightly smaller type battery. Also had to get a new battery for my ZTR, it was only $55, same voltage as the Yamaha's. Is there anyone else that experiences this crap with their ATV out there?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well I dropped of my ATV at the dealership for maintenace this afternoon. My winch is not working any longer, might possibly need a $94 part. Oil leak will be found and fixed, possibly a bad seal on the bleader which is not a big deal. My pull start doesn't recoil the rope, they will inspect to see what is causing it. It it's gonna cost to much then I said forget about it. Not like I ever use it anyway. They will put some stuff on all the lugs from preventing the bolts from cracking off the stems. Gonna have diff fluid changed, and anti freeze if need be and spark plug inspected and changed if need be. The snorkle tube rign tightened and new drain plug on belt housing cause it fell off. They get $90 an hour for labor. Oh and also getting a new foot rest on right side, I have had a break in the plastic where fender meets fender in front, that entire part is only $23.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

So I learned that the hose that was disconnected and I wasn't able to reach the o ring clamp to tighten, is the breather line for the belt area. It connects to a rubber hose, which then connects to a plastic housing that leads up to the bottom on the fender in the center. Also my belt drainage plug was missing. With all that, this most likely was the cause of why my atv would bog when going through mud bogs and hitting 4" puddles at 20 mph or more. I'm looking forward to having this bogging issue a thing of the past now cause last year I dug out a creek in my woods with an excavator to the size of a kideny shape swimming pool and can hold up to 4.5" of water in the deepest section and 2.5 in the rest. It is a really good mud bog to ride through. I'm actually planning on expanding it wider on the south side and do some more modifications to it, so that it will hold water when the stream stops flowing.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha dealer called me today and said my atv wont be ready for the weekend which I kinda figured, no biggie. But then comes the bad news. Oil leak was coming from a worn out seal by drive shaft, that will cost me $400 to fix. My winch is shot, needs a new one, another $400. New wheel stud, plug, foot rest, and pull starter section has muck inside it and he is gonna clean that out so the pull start rope will recoil. Total out the door price.....$1100. I opted to go with a new winch, basically a brand new everything involving a new winch, wires, ect. I used my other warn winch like maybe 30-50 times.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

If you are building mud areas to take your quad through you should remember that this is harder on them than just trail riding...second thing to keep in mind is that your quad is six years old at this point...stuff is going to wear out...especially if you aren't easy on it! You have to pay (and keep paying) if you want to play (and keep playing). On a side note...the recoil starter will fill with mud again...just take the four bolts out and bang it on your garage floor...mud falls out and you are good to go again. The plastic is easy enough to replace that you probably don't have to pay someone 90/hour to do. The wheel stud on my Yamaha didn't break it just stripped out the rotor/stud assembly...a few tack welds and it was good to go again. Anyway, the nature of sport is that parts/quads are going to quit working and if you want to keep playing the choice is either keep fixing or buy new!! Have fun with "newer" quad...I just bought a 2011 to replace my 08...the warn winch and mounting plate on mine was over 600 bucks so 400 sounds pretty good if they are doing the install!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have under 700 miles on my atv, I don't go through my mud bogs alot. But I do have alot of woods that are wet lands and it is muddy back there during the wet season. $600 winch you say? How much weight can it pull? They make different winches that can handle different amounts of weight. The more weight it handles, the more pricey it gets. I shouldn't be expericing oil leaks with less then 700 miles on my atv, age has nothing to do with it seeing that my miles are very low. Unless a foriegn object like a branch poked through the seal or somehow damaged it, after all it is a rubber seal holding oil in so rotting is kinda hard to digest. I know about how the brakes can have a short life on atv's if you go through mud and water, I learned that already when I had to get new pads installed last year. But for my engine to develop a oil leak cause a seal went bad and have under 700 miles on the atv is kinda frustrating.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Warn 2500

Winch was a warn/yamaha 2500 with the mounting plate for the 2011 grizzly...I had a seal go out on the front drive shaft on my big bear...oil was dripping out where the front drive shaft leaves the tranny...the explanation I got was that mud got in and wrinkled the seal which in turn allowed oil out...Good luck with the quad (and the service bill).

Quick Reply: Some problems I noticed on my kodiak 450