Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What if I get a flat on the trail?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What if I get a flat on the trail?

So I've been doing a little research on what gear I could take with me since I had a close call with one of my tires a few weeks ago. Any preference on what to take on the trail in case one would get a flat. I see small kits that consist of a little compressor that plugs into your 12V assessory....and the kit usually comes with a "green goo" it might be called. What's everybody's thoughts on what to take with you for this type of emergency. Not sure if this was the right place to post this thread...but I ride a yamaha kodiak 4x4 (and love it). Thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATV Parts, ATV Tires, Dirt Bike Parts, Motocross Gear, Motorcycle parts and Motorcycle Tires | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC sells tire plug kits, a compressor and gauge is always good to have. I would also fix me up a tow strap with hooks or carabiners on it, to put around the tires; to reset the bead, should you pop a tire off the rim.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bring a decent plug kit and a way to inflate the tire. A portable compressor isn't going to put out enough air to reseat the bead in most cases anyway(although you could always do the old redneck starter fluid method. Dangerous, but it works!) Of course, you could spring for beadlocks and not worry about that part of it. Worst case scenario, you can always limp home on a flat tire. Probably destroy the rim in the process, but it isn't like you would need to walk home.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default plug kit and compressor

I have a 15 dollar plug kit from cabelas...has rubber cement, plugs, and the tools to put the plugs in. I have a little 12 v compressor that i carry too. Last time out one of our guys popped a tire off of the bead...we used a tow strap around the tire and tied it off and then stuck a stick through it and twisted to tighten the strap...the little compressor wasnt enough to set the bead back on but got it on enough to get the 3-4 miles back to the truck at about 20 lbs (where we had a generator and air compressor). Good luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I,m covered, first I have my tires loaded with "Slime" that seals a hole as it happens, then I have a plug kit and air bump I also have a can "Fix-A-Flat", it fills the tire with air and foam and then seals the hole.

If those 3 things do not work ,Im riding the rim out before walking.LOL

Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Just a warning on Fix-a-Flat. It's flammable. Beergut can tell you his story on finding out the hard way.

I have a small Slime air compressor, plugs, and cement. It's good to have extra cement and plugs. One of the holes I fixed on the original tires took 3 plugs and glue in the sidewall. Was curious to see how long it would hold air and didn't replace the tire. Lasted until I replaced the OEMs.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Look at ATVAIR it liiks like a good way to inflate tires.