Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Blaster 200??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Blaster 200??

i have been looking at smaller sport quads for myself and since i am not a very big person i noticed that a blaster is a very inexpensive machine and ive herd that they have plenty of power, but they are 2 strokes...i dont know much about this engine type and only have a few questions:

1) are they hard to maintain?
2) what oil ratio should i use?
3) is replacing the top end hard? and how often do i need to do it?
4) will a 200 be enough for me to ride aggressively on a small track or field, and still be smooth on the trail?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bc1824
i have been looking at smaller sport quads for myself and since i am not a very big person i noticed that a blaster is a very inexpensive machine and ive herd that they have plenty of power, but they are 2 strokes...i dont know much about this engine type and only have a few questions:

1) are they hard to maintain?
2) what oil ratio should i use?
3) is replacing the top end hard? and how often do i need to do it?
4) will a 200 be enough for me to ride aggressively on a small track or field, and still be smooth on the trail?
1. No, they are probably the most simplistic machine you can get, very easy to maintain.
2. They mix themselves. I don't know the ratio that it mixes to off hand, but you don't have to pre mix it. Just have to keep the oil reservoir filled.
3. No, again, they are so simplistic. The motor could be taken out and rebuilt in a few hours. To the second part, not very often. I used to have a blaster, and i didn't exactly ride it easy, and in the 6-7 years i owned it i never had to rebuild it.
4.Yes, they do have a short wheel base and so can be a little "tippy" in a tight turn if you are racing around a track, but it isn't really as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Great in the trails.

Bottom line. Great, inexpensive, fun little machine. Make great power for their size, so simplistic there isn't a ton of things to fail, and when they do they are easy to fix. Don't be scared by it being a 2 stroke either. Would definitely recommend one.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks alot

Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, nice little machine. Buy a service manual, most backyard mechanics could rebuild one of these with that and a few select tools. I do recommend a few things though. 1) I would stay away from the 240s if you are a beginner. The little chassis can be a handful once the engine has been woken up(and it is pretty easy/cheap to make the upgrade yourself when you are ready.) 2) I prefer the later models with oem disc brakes, or an earlier one with the conversion. This is no by no means a deal breaker, but that is the way yamaha should have built them from the beginning.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

+1 on the 240 advice, mainly because you want a reliable quad and a 240 kit makes them more prone to blow up , and yes their hell on wheels with the kit for a beginner. if they dont have a reservoir then just google it. i bought one new in 05, i loved it but unlike you i got pretty big in the following years. the tipping problem can be fixed for about 50 bucks, go on ebay and buy some wheel spacers to help. you wont be dissapointed in the power. i had mine for 4 years and never had to rebuild it once, and it ran tip top since new. try to find a 03 and newer model, the hydraulic brakes are bulletproof, the cable brakes are s****t.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

im not at all worried about the power in fact i want as much as i can have for the money, im not a beginner rider, just new to 2 strokes ive alway riden 4 stroke atvs, since i was about 8 or 10. With out the 240 kit, will the stock wheeler with a few upgrades keep up with sayy an ltz 400 or a trx 450r on the trail?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Keeping up" is a pretty relative term. Both the ltz400 and 450R have better handling, suspension, and more power. On trail rides at sane speeds it would be fine. If your buddies start blitzing trails at light speed, not so much.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

My son races a yamaha blaster 240cc stroker, and yes it will not only keep up with the 400's and 450's with widened a arms and swing arm at will beat them. Races cross country and has never gotten worse than third. 255cc being built for next year. Here we come GNCC. Been building these little bikes for a while and well they are a blast-er. Ditch the oil injection. They are junk and will smoke your engine if you are not really careful.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was thinking of more like keeping up as in if they punch it tryin to mess around would i still be able to see them, and mixing the gas myself is what i was thinking because ive herd if the pump goes or i accidentally let it run dry then i can basically kiss the motor goodbye untill i rebuild it

Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Well, to "keep up" it's going to take a little bit of work. I had a stock blaster, so i can't really speak about modified ones. My biggest reason for upgrading from the blaster was the power/speed. Most of my friends were getting the yfz 450's, banshee's, etc and well, there was no "keeping up" if we hit a straight away they would RUN away not just walk away. Quick for what they are, but trying to keep up with say a trx 450, not happening unless you do a good amount of mods. I now have a Raptor 660, and compared with the blasters power, they simply don't. Raptor, 450's and the like quite literally make twice as much power. Trx 450 makes something like 33-40hp pending the year, a blaster makes 17-19.

And yeah, if the oil injection quits on you, the motor won't last long. No oil means no lubrication, no lubrication is quick death for an engine. I hear they are common to go out, but personally i never had an issue. I had mine about 6 years (1998 model) and rode it quite a bit, never had an issue with the oil injection. Honestly i never had any issues with the thing period. Nothing ever went wrong with it, never took more than 2 kicks to start no matter how long it sat. I had to push that thing hard to attempt to keep up with my friends with faster machines, still, never an issue.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Blaster 200??