Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

stripped\seized bolts and screws.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped\seized bolts and screws.

I bought a 92 warrior evidently with some wear. The draing plug bolt is completely stripped to a donut and the screws that hold in the front pads on the calipers are seized and I've already tried liquid wrench on the screws and grip tite sockets on the bolts. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Wuwarrior
I bought a 92 warrior evidently with some wear. The draing plug bolt is completely stripped to a donut and the screws that hold in the front pads on the calipers are seized and I've already tried liquid wrench on the screws and grip tite sockets on the bolts. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
You can believe this or don't - But a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF (Yes, Automatic Transmission Fluid), out-performs any penetrating oil on earth. It doesn't really mix real well,... it's a very "quick to seperate" emulsion of sorts.... so mix it and put it in a spray bottle (one that you don't mind throwing away soon), and het the part up a little, (It doesn't have to be cherry red or anything).... spray the area and walk away for a little while. 'bout an hour or so. Then come back and shake up your mix and shoot it again and walk away for about the same time.... Usually this will help break free almost anything I have ever applied it to. Some are easier than others, but a little "back and forth" on the bolt and you're golden.

This doesn't seem to matter much on Stainless though..... No Power tools to work the bolt either.... might as well just break em off to start with if you're going to put an impact wrench on it. The mixture is very thin and gets into places the other oils will not, and the acetone evaporates pretty fast leaving behind a lubricating layer of Trans fluid.....

Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

If you can, weld a nut on the rounded drain plug. I've done this several times and it works well. If the screws were phillips and are rounded I use a dremel tool with a small cut off wheel to cut a straight slot and then use a hand impact to loosen them. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for suggestions guys. I was succesful in getting the screws out but I can't weld a nut onto the plug? Is it possible they aluminum? If it is does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for suggestions guys. I was succesful in getting the screws out but I can't weld a nut onto the plug? Is it possible they aluminum? If it is does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks a lot.
Cold Chisel through the middle and put a wrench on the chisel..... heating the thing up can definitely help loosen it before trying to turn it too. Heat and let cool a few times, the expansion and contraction of the metal will help generally. Got a picture of what we're looking at here?

I've been known to make my own "flats" on a rounded off bolt also. That takes a ton of time and effort, and sometimes no result.... but It's been done. Files and grinders are your friend.

I also have a set of left handed drill bits, they do a great job on smaller items, as they heat the screw up as they drill, and sometimes they grab the screw and unscrew it while drilling, removing the screw very quickly.... I think HF sells some short screw extractors that could help also.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks a lot.
I've occasionally used a Dremel grinder with a cut-off wheel to make a slot across the center of a rounded screw head. Once the slot is there you can use a flat screwdriver or (even better) an impact screwdriver.

Before all that though... I assume you've been trying with a 12 point socket or wrench... Get a 6 point socket and see if that grabs the plug better before you hack it up with a dremel. You may even be able to hammer a smaller socket onto the plug and get it to bite well enough to remove the plug...

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider