Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Oil in Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Airbox

Hi guys,

I need some help. I changed motor oil on my son's 2007 Yama Wolverine. After that I wanted to clean air filter, when I found a lot of oil inside of airbox. Air filter is soaked with oil also. Since I don't have a garage and a lot of time to take everything apart asking you guys for help. Where is this oil come from??? I know, it can be only motor oil or rear differential oil. There is a vent hose coming from differential and ending above air box. There is some missing oil in final gearbox. It is weird, gearbox is low, airbox is high. And oil is inside the airbox (1/8" on the bottom).

Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

All foam air filters are soaked in oil to capture the dirt in the air. Someone probably just got a little to liberal with the oil last filter cleaning.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by sotto66
Hi guys,

I need some help. I changed motor oil on my son's 2007 Yama Wolverine. After that I wanted to clean air filter, when I found a lot of oil inside of airbox. Air filter is soaked with oil also. Since I don't have a garage and a lot of time to take everything apart asking you guys for help. Where is this oil come from??? I know, it can be only motor oil or rear differential oil. There is a vent hose coming from differential and ending above air box. There is some missing oil in final gearbox. It is weird, gearbox is low, airbox is high. And oil is inside the airbox (1/8" on the bottom).
Sotto I got you on this one Son, so first off RELAX,
contrary to popular belief the rear diff should not be filled to the fill plug with gear oil, this is way to much, and you risk blowing out an axle seal, the acctual amount is listed in the repair manual, and its not that much, ill look it up later if you want, a long time ago, i was 18 and stooped as well, and got stuck on the exact same problem with my wolverine, but their was just to much oil in the rear diff, and the vent tube travels right up into the air box. if you want to be certain of this touch the oil in the airbox and smell it, if it smells like @ss then its diff fluid, ok homes?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Waiting for new K&N air and oil filter to arrive. I'll try to relocate that rear diff. vent tube to different location. ( i found burnt oil drippings on exhaust pipe). Need to clean carb. No time.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Range Rover

ok nope im wrong, i converted measurements wrong in my head, it does come out to about right at the fill plug, but even with this proper level it can still travel through the vent tubes

lol just ignore what i say