Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 kodiak 450 carb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 kodiak 450 carb?

I have searched but can't find a answer to my question, my 05 kodiak450 sat for 4 yrs with fuel in it! when I first got it it would not idle without the choke slightly on, I pulled the carb off the engine pulled the bowl blew out all the jets and orfices, put it back on and now it idles fine with choke off but every so often it will sputter and die! it starts right back up tho! my question is what are the 2 adj screws under the carb for? the one in back has a plug over it, it seems like the engine is running on the lean side, the machine is all stock with 480 mi on it. I tryed adjusting the idle but it don't seem to help, thanks for any info

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

The fuel screw is underneath center in the front of the carb. It has the brass plug that needs to be removed to access the screw. Just be careful and drill an 1/8 inch hole deep enough to insert a screw and pull the plug out so you don't damage the fuel screw.

Your saying that it sat for 4 years with fuel, does that mean in the tank also? if so you might want to drain, clean the tank, fuel line and petcock to be on the safe side. Could be getting some crap back into the carb from those and pluggin up the jets. Also check the the float is set properly and enough fuel is in the bowl to begin with.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

there are also two rubber diaphragms that very well may need replacing after that long of a time. lots of other little holes that need blown out. I would pull the whole carb out and do a meticulous cleaning and inspection of all the diaphragms. One and done, no wondering if you got it clean or not.

I actually did this last night on mine and got her running pretty smooth. I set the air fuel screw (brass one on bottom closest to engine side of carb) 2 1/2 turns out. All the rubber on mine was in very good condition but I think it had been rebuilt once before.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 kodiak

thanks for the replies! I was being lazy the first attempt, by not pulling the carb and cleaning it completely! I did flush the tank out tho, and put fresh gas in it, when you install a new plug how long will it take to be able to pull it and read it to see if its running lean or rich? the new one is still white looking but I have only put about 8-10 miles on it! again thanks for the info!