Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help! Big Bear with no power

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Big Bear with no power

Ok, so last month I noticed my 96 Yamaha big bear 350 SE was lacking power. I took off the clutch cover and found the centrifugal clutch was very worn. I replaced the clutch with a 2ed hand one that was in good shape and has lots of material left on it. I also replaced the clutch packs as I figured I might as well for the extra $40 seeing as how I had it apart. Changed the oil. Have 10w40 atv oil in it now.
So I took it out today and still no power. It starts and idles fine but in higher gears it will bog down and if I try to spin the wheels by puching against a telephone pole, ect it will just start to push and then bog down. It won't spin the tires at all under load.
-I've cleaned the carb a million times.
-No holes in any intake boots ect.
-Air filter is clean.
-I've adjusted the clutch from one extreem to the other with that little screw on the side with no change at all
-I've played with the air/fuel screw on the carb with no change at all
-I haven't really checked compression but it will blow my thumb right off the hole when cranking
It just started doing this suddenly and I'm running out of ideas on what it could be. Any thoughts?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like my 400 outlander when the valves were to tight it keeped bogging down and it wouldnt pull its self in mud holes i checked all the same thing and i pulled the valve cover off and intake had no clearance and the exhaust had so liitle i opened them all up and i can copare the power it has to any other 400 iv ran

Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

So what do I do to check / adjust the valves?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

pull your valve cover off there should be 4 bolt but befor try to get the speck there suppose to be set at then you can get a gage from a part store and check the clearence beteen your rocker and valve yours might be adjustable im not sure on your but its easy and it dont take long to do

Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so. I replaced the Stator and cintrifical clutch. I'm not sure what was the bigger problem but after tests I found both were gone. She runs great now, and the spark will jump about 30mm which is about the limit of my tester. Alot better than 2.5mm!
I took the time to also replace the coil as it was only $20 and the clutch packs since I had it all apart. Nither was worn that bad but I figured what the hell.
After it was all fixed up I put on a new exhaust and a set of new grips. LOTS OF POWER NOW! Took her on a 100km trip today up a hill thats 1870ft above sea level and changed the oil and filter again when I got home cause I figure any time you got the engine opened up it can't hurt to be carful. The filter had a lot of junk in it too.
So if anyone has the same issue, I say:
-Check Cintrifical clutch
-Check spark jump and make sure it's over 6mm.
Part costs:
-Yamaha Genuine Cintrifical clutch: $287.00 USD
-Ebay stator: $89.95 USD
-Ebay Coil: $19.95 USD
-Ebay Clutch disc set: $35.99 USD
-Scott Hurricane ATV Grips: $6.95 USD
-Slightly used Yamaha YFZ450 Exhaust (I modded it to fit the bear): $78.00 USD
-Ebay Clutch gasket: $9.99 USD
-Ebay Stator gasket: $8.99 USD
Thanks for all the help and advice!