Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Blaster Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrellster
The spark plug end cap "Unscrews" on mine. But you should be able to test through and around all that with the home-made spark tester the manual suggests. If it's got the proper continuity it should be OK. Rarely do I find anything that reads through, to be an issue on these coils. If you try too much to get a spark without the spark plug grounded, you can screw the pooch on the CDI. It takes a bit, but it can happen also.
I will check again to see if I can unscrew it. I already priced out the part and think I will replace it. I was going to sell the quad because I dont have the time to use it or anyplace to ride around where I live. I knew when I bought it, being its a blaster I would never get back what i put in to it.... but with all thats happened I will find the time and a place to ride (even it turns out to be a chase..lol) just because I want to at least get to enjoy it once its back to running with no issues. Its given me problems since the first day I got it but hopefully a new coil will do the trick. Thanks Again!!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by johnny bots
I will check again to see if I can unscrew it. I already priced out the part and think I will replace it. I was going to sell the quad because I dont have the time to use it or anyplace to ride around where I live. I knew when I bought it, being its a blaster I would never get back what i put in to it.... but with all thats happened I will find the time and a place to ride (even it turns out to be a chase..lol) just because I want to at least get to enjoy it once its back to running with no issues. Its given me problems since the first day I got it but hopefully a new coil will do the trick. Thanks Again!!
I just got mine out this evening after it sat alll winter with the fuel petcock open and a tank full of 1.5 year old gas/mix. It took a while, but the thing started up and ran! I was amazed. I thought I had drained it and ran the carb empty when I parked it.... OOPS!

These suckers are really awesome when all the parts work. Nearly pulls my arms off in third....

Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, I have a 2002 blaster with a 260 big bore kit, an fmf power core 2 pipe and the guy I got it from told me he jetted the carb properly, yea right. Ive done some research and found that with the pipe alone it should be running a 280to a 310 main with a 34 pilot, that like I said was just by changing the pipe. So I guess I'm asking for help on where to start with the jetting with the big bore kit and pipe combo. It seems it should have more power and not drop on it's face in 5th and 6th gear. It's all I can do to keep up with my 1991 Kawasaki mojave 250 four stroke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Ron p 11
Hi, I have a 2002 blaster with a 260 big bore kit, an fmf power core 2 pipe and the guy I got it from told me he jetted the carb properly, yea right. Ive done some research and found that with the pipe alone it should be running a 280to a 310 main with a 34 pilot, that like I said was just by changing the pipe. So I guess I'm asking for help on where to start with the jetting with the big bore kit and pipe combo. It seems it should have more power and not drop on it's face in 5th and 6th gear. It's all I can do to keep up with my 1991 Kawasaki mojave 250 four stroke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
the guy you bought it from lied to you they dont make a 260 blaster it may be a 240 if thats the case the fmf pipe is not a good choice for the big bore kit its made for stock to mildly modded blasters i would suggest an lrd or the vitos pipe its designed for their 240 big bore kit and is more of a topend pipe and your jetting can depend on alot of things including your altitude, what size carb are you running, what kind of air flow you have comeing in the best way to check your jetting is look at your spark plug what color is it? if its black and oily your too rich, if its grey and ashy looking your too lean, you want a nice cardboard color at the back of the ceramic part of the plug inside the threaded part the best way to get a look at it is to cut out a piece of the threads