Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 warrior wiring harness problems!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 warrior wiring harness problems!! HELP!!

just picked up this 96 warrior yesterday... when i got it home it was time to start going over the thing.. seeeing as it wasnt in running condition but complete... cleaned the carb.. boy was it all gunked up with green old gas.. got that put back together and tried starting it.. after a while of messing around with it i got it started but ran it just for a second cause theres not much oil in the transfer case.. so... now it wont start.. its getting gas.. or atleast is doing it job of filling the bowl and shutting off... and its got great compression.. but as for spark idk.. it seems to have spark but a very faint one... and thats when it comes to the big problem.. the wiring harness.. today going back out there to work on it. i took all plastics and what not off.. and looking at this wiring harnes, my god is horrible... every wire, plug etc is just all corroded and a bunch of the wires are sliced and visible... i tried doctoring it up and trying to clean it but it looks like i deff need to find a new one.. and heres some of the things i need answers to... what warrior wire harness is compatible with mine? looking on ebay right now they dont have any 96... all of them are 87s and wat not.. another question i got not having anything to do with the harness but the guy i got it from said the starter was replaced.. and ive had a warrior previously and when this one turns over.. the starter seems to have a knock to it that it didnt remember having in my last one but not certain.. but if someone could please help me out id appreciate it.. especcialyy if you can find me a harness lol.. thanks alot.. sorry for the long post

Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

the '96 model year is the bastard year of warriors. i know it all to well. it uses the newer ('97 to 2001) harness and stator with the older ('95 and back) CDI. basically. the stator is supposedly different but it has the right plugs. i got a 97 harness and CDI for mine, along with a new key switch and left hand switch. that was after i bought everything wrong like 3 times. i still have a nice round plug harness. you would need a new stator to use it, which with your weak spark it sounds like you need one anyways. i'd be willing to part with it for 50$ plus shipping if you want to go that route.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

so a harness off a 97-01 would work for mine but not with my cdi box? if thats what your saying then idk if i wanna go with trying to switch out the wiring if im gonna have to switch out stator and or cdi and what not.. that sounds like a nightmare!.. im thinking about just takin it down to the closest yamaha dealer and pay 50 bucks just to see what the damn thing needs! i hate guessing on whats wrong with it.. ha..

but this is where its at now... i took the coil off yesterday cleaned it up.. orange wire was frayed.. cut it and tied both together then taped.. didnt change the spark at all.. but it does seem to get alot of spark.. and compression is great cant even hold my finger on it.. i took the carb off three times.. cleaned the crap outta it put it back on and it seems to be getting gas.. got the airbox off of it and when i give it gas that lil needle sticking up sideways out the back of the carb squirts and stream up gas through the intake. and when i cup my hand over the back of the carb it gets good suction and tons of gas pours out when i take my hand off.. (if that makes sence).. but once in a great while when i do that and turn it over it will pop for just a second then nothing.. i dont have any ohm reader or multimeter to check out any of the electrical on it.. im soo stumped its not even funny=[ worst part is is that second say i had it i actually got it to start and it ran great but when i shut it off thats where im at now...NOTHING! please help ha

Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

also with the coil.. theres no boot on it.. the guy just shoved wire onto the top of the plug... but it still gets good spark!....ugh.. please try to shoot me in the right direction.. thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer
Unhappy

UPDATE: got new spark plug today.. put it in.. turned it over.,.. for a split second it popped.. then nothin.. took it out.. its wet..... wtf.... so its gotta be electrical somewhere.. would it not start if the cdi is blown or something even though its getting spark and fuel and good compression?? im so stumped if someone could give me any kinda help or pointers to check over it be greatly appreciated! thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

also i know its getting plenty of fuel.. i took the exhaust off and tons of gas poured out... so its gotta be electrical! but what?! any help?????? what could be blown bu still alows me to get spark?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Trailblazer

sheared flywheel key!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

and where would that be?......

Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

Stadium Yamaha | Kymco OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

go here and look at crankshaft, its part no 21 woulddrift key, then look at generator, thats the flywheel, then look at side cover1 it will all show you. but first of i would get a shop manual and remove inspection plug 8 on the cover your timing marks are in side,and remove the cam shaft cover on top and check timeing marks at top dead center. that is a good indication that the wouldrift key is sheared. ive bought alot of bikes over the years that this was the cause,ei: gas ,spark,good comp. wont start!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

is it easy to replace if it is sheared?.. im pretty sure i know how to check the timing.. you just take the left side cover off and that plastic top plug and turn it till it lines up then take that side cover off on the head?... sorry im new with 4 strokes..

Quick Reply: 96 warrior wiring harness problems!! HELP!!