Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rebuilding timberwolf 4x4 with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding timberwolf 4x4 with questions

I picked up a 95 yamaha timberwolf 4x4 about 5 months and have been slowly rebuilding it. It was in bad shape and didnt run but i picked it up for 200. So far i have had to replace the front axles, bearings, brake cables(all), brake shoes, recovered seat, treated must of the rust and repainted the frame, coated the plastics in herculiner, added a k&n filter and a cobra atv exhaust. Finally today i got to drive it through the mud and test everything out. After driving a 2wd timberwolf this thing is a monster on the trails and mud. Of course its not the most powerful thing but has plenty of low end to turn wrangler mud tires on it. some pictures.
Name:  Pictures118.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  Pictures107.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  35.5 KB
Name:  Pictures035.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  24.1 KB

The only problem i have is that the rear diff got water in it bad. I mean make clean oil sludge within a hour of riding in the mud and water. Now after riding and i have found out that the seal on the axle bearing is leaking oil out. So it needs replacing but the axle boot is also torn. Will that allow water to get into the rear diff?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by johnson7454
I picked up a 95 yamaha timberwolf 4x4 about 5 months and have been slowly rebuilding it. It was in bad shape and didnt run but i picked it up for 200. So far i have had to replace the front axles, bearings, brake cables(all), brake shoes, recovered seat, treated must of the rust and repainted the frame, coated the plastics in herculiner, added a k&n filter and a cobra atv exhaust. Finally today i got to drive it through the mud and test everything out. After driving a 2wd timberwolf this thing is a monster on the trails and mud. Of course its not the most powerful thing but has plenty of low end to turn wrangler mud tires on it. some pictures.

The only problem i have is that the rear diff got water in it bad. I mean make clean oil sludge within a hour of riding in the mud and water. Now after riding and i have found out that the seal on the axle bearing is leaking oil out. So it needs replacing but the axle boot is also torn. Will that allow water to get into the rear diff?
need to fix that it will couse majer problems

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes