Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I Buy It Yamaha Warrior 350

Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy It Yamaha Warrior 350

Hello guys I am going to be buying another quad soon i am looking at yamaha warrior 350's and this is what the guy said about it tell me what you think and if I should get it or not here is what he said

The plastic are not broken or cracked just scratched the battery is new the piston, rings(wiseco high comp forged 040.over bore)are new the cam(hot cams stage two) is new the cam chain is new the rear axle bearings are new the ball joints are new the tie rods and tie rod ends are new the brake pads front and back are new the clutch plates (EBC) are new the chain (O ring) and sprockets are new it is missing the lens on one headlight the seat is un ripped it has a aftermarket front bumper four extra rims and two extra bottom ends one extra head extra standard bore cylinder and extra stock pipe this four wheeler runs great shifts smooth and the suspension is good it could use front tires the air box is stock the carb was supposedly jetted with k&n air filter it probably could use further tuning the pipe is stock I have it geared for top end but it will still wheelie in two gears it trail rides fine the cam took a little low end away and it has a better mid and top you would have to play with front sprocket sizes to tailor for your use right now i am shifting into 6th when everyone else is all done so the extra power is softened by the extra gear I still have the stock cam nothing is wrong with it it takes about 45 minutes to change the baffle on the pipe on it is modified so it is a little louder but i have another stock pipe I have only run this for maybe 3 hours total since rebuild so its not completely broken in yet and it will probably need another valve adjustment when it is

Let me know what you think and thanks for your opinion

Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this stage of the game, I would have a hard time buying a Warrior unless the price was right. Really right. Still, sounds like a nice quad that needs just a little tweaking.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

There's a lot of things that leave me wondering. Why does he have all those extra engine parts? Why was he not running an aftermarket pipe with the other mods supposedly done...as that is almost ALWAYS the first mod you should do to a quad. I would give the quad a serious checking out and really grill the guy if you think about buying it, and at that I still dunno how I would personally feel about that quad.

It just seems that perhaps he has had some issues with the quad due to abuse/lack of maintenance and some of the mods he has done make me wonder if he knew what he was doing or not.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was probably riding a Warrior before you were born. Worst quad I ever owned. The ergonomics are terrible, and the rear suspension just never was right. Handles way heavier than it actually is. In its day it was ok, but by today's standards it isn't worth the gas you put in it. Pass it up...and the Raptor 350 is no better either....

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by reconranger
I was probably riding a Warrior before you were born. Worst quad I ever owned. The ergonomics are terrible, and the rear suspension just never was right. Handles way heavier than it actually is. In its day it was ok, but by today's standards it isn't worth the gas you put in it. Pass it up...and the Raptor 350 is no better either....
I will agree with what Recon says on the Warrior as I have owned one too...... In fact back in 1987 it was THE trail ATV to own. Electric start, reverse, 6-speed.... it had it all.....

But by today's standards the ergonomics are horrible for sporty riding. I almost consider the Warrior to be a "beach cruiser" more than anything else. Its OK if you are just going to cruise around on a smooth beach, enjoying the sand and surf etc..... But if you are going to go fast, rail some berms, blitz through the woods etc.... The Warrior is about as much fun as a 10-speed bicycle on a mountain bike trail.......

I will disagree with Recon that the Raptor 350 is "no better" than the Warrior because it is a lot better.... We've owned both and the Raptor is much better..... It still does not compare to a 400ex or anything like that, the 350 is really in a class below the 400 machines. I imagine the Raptor 250 will eventually kill the need for the Raptor 350 altogether.......

IMO if I were you I'd look around for a 400ex......but that's just me.....

Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

The Raptor 350 is a Warrior with new plastics/other minor changes--same frame, same engine, so please explain to me what makes one better than the other?

The Warrior is outdated but they are nearly impossible to kill.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by beefy46172
The Raptor 350 is a Warrior with new plastics/other minor changes--same frame, same engine, so please explain to me what makes one better than the other?

The Warrior is outdated but they are nearly impossible to kill.
Well the main difference in the two is the 25 pounds that the Raptor shed, and the ergos are totally different. They moved the foot pegs totally and gave it YFZ pegs. They changed the angle and reach of the steering stem, changed the seating position, and they made the tank more flat so you can actually ride it in the proper body position......You now sit ON the machine as opposed to down IN as you did on the Warrior.

They also changed the way the engine sits in the frame, they canted it forward more to get a better center of gravity. They changed the a-arms and angle of the suspension in the front to give it a less choppy front end.......they adjusted the linkage in the rear.

In the engine they changed the cams, header pipe, and the length of the canister to give it a broader power band in stock form........

Just because the engine and frame are basically the same does not mean the two machines cannot be totally different. It all depends on how the components are welded to the frame and in what position. That can change the ergonomics totally. And the engine being set in the frame at a different angle, and the a-arms, and steering stem, will give the machine a totally different feeling......

The Warrior is a strong reliable machine, which is why they kept the 350 around in the first place. The Raptor just has updated ergonomics to bring it into the modern world. And those changes made it a much better machine for sport riding compared to the old Warrior.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

To the OP.. I own a warrior (my first quad, purchased last year) so I will chime in. As others have said, its not the most ergonomic bike or the fastest. But it is a real machine. Very reliable bike and will take beating every weekend and beg for more. But that reliability can be out the door when a bike has been heavily modified like this one b/c you don't know for sure if it was done right. My advice would be to buy one that's close to stock. This way there are no guessing games. If you need the 'speed' of a higher modified warrior, then you may be better off getting something in the 400 class, as previously mentioned, or a raptor 660/700. Both of which would make a great choice, newer bikes with even more power...

I'll summarize by saying:

Pros - Very reliable, respectable power, 6 speed, reverse, elect. start...definatley a proven bike for the beginner or even intermediate rider

Cons - old design, heavy bike, suspension is not great

Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

its an old school bike, figures people have to compare them to new bikes...this is a CLASSIC atv basically warriors were one of the first sporty atvs the very first atv was like a suzuki alt125 in like 1984-85 or something, warriors came out in 87....and remained unchanged till like 03-04 or something wtf do you expect yes these newer bikes are gonna be better in every way, warriors are old! but these were one of the top selling atvs of all time, and are still some pretty cool bikes that are very affordable, easy to find parts for and can be made pretty quick for how old they are...there very durable bikes but the worst thing about them is there electrical side of things, they like to poop out stators and have some electrical quirks, but all in all there tanks, ive owned a good bit of atvs and dirtbikes of all makes and im not one sided towards yamaha or anything( like recon is with hondas lolol) but its a cool bike.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

Here's my opinion about the particular bike your looking at, as well as buying any type of automobile, vehicle used. I don't like it when a previous owner mods something out, especially how hard this bike was. I may be wrong, but it's a psychological thing. It just means to me they pushed that entire bike to it's complete limit, and beat on it hard. I don't know much about ATV mods, but I'm guessing if your very knowledgeable with them, and know how to work on bikes then maybe it's OK, but I when I was looking for my warrior I wouldn't consider a heavily modded bike.

As for the warriors, I have very limited experience with riding bikes, I've mostly only ridden utility atvs, except for the warrior and a 300ex. I really like the warrior though. I don't do any crazy jumps and wheelies whatsoever, I like the bike for fields and light trail riding. It's nice having the power to get on it on the straights in the fields and dirt roads. I believe other people when they say they are better bikes, or the warrior is dated, but for what I paid for mine, and what I do with it, I'm very happy with it. Its the main sport bike I've ridden, and when I compare it to Mojaves, 300exs and 400exs I still like it the best for some reason. That's just my opinion though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I Buy It Yamaha Warrior 350